Visual Studio 2010 integration

Visual Studio 2010 integration

NewbieNewbie

Oct 28, 2011#1

Hi all,

I uses VS 2010 prof. and I want to integrate UE into VS to use UE as VS-Editor in the VS-IDE (like VIM)

possible ?

Michael...

NewbieNewbie

Jun 07, 2012#2

Did you ever get this working and if so how did intellisense behave? Did navigate to object (F12) still work?

MasterMaster

Jun 07, 2012#3

Communication between an IDE and the editor for that IDE has to be integrated. Both the IDE AND the Editor must support it and be able to communicate directly with each other.

It is not possible for 2 products such as this from 2 separate companies to work together in that fashion. However, it is possible for UEStudio to replace VS 2010.

Now, while I have not used UEStudio to replace VS 2010, I have used it to replace Embarcadero Delphi 2010 and Embarcadero C++ Builder 2010, which is even more difficult. UEStudio is used as a replacement for VS already by many in the field, if I understand things correctly. The integrated debugging was designed to work with VS, so it's no problem getting that up and running. The integrated debugging UEStudio actually does is through the Microsoft Visual Studio debug symbol formats for source-level dubugging using WinDbg. So if you configure the command line compiler that comes with VS, and download Debugging Tools for Windows and Windows symbol packages, then you should have little trouble in setting up UEStudio to replace Visual Studio.

It was a bit more difficult for me to replace the Embarcadero RAD Studio IDE with UEStudio, but as slow and bulky as it was (partly programmed with Microsoft .NET and partly with Java) it was well worth the effort. I have to use an external debugger, but well worth the effort, as it took RAD Studio 45.3 seconds to compile a mid-sized program, while UEStudio, doing the same compile using the same command line compiler, did it in 0.81 seconds.

Like I said, though, I've never used it as a replacement for Visual Studio (because I don't use Visual Studio), but I've talked to other people who have, and they were very happy with it. Some were the only one in their company doing so, and they were the most productive one in the group.

When you get right down to it, you'll spend more time coding than anything else. VS 2010 is built in .NET, and, from all reports that I've heard from people who use it a lot, they say it is extremely slow and buggy. I've got news for you: If you just replace the "editor" and not the "IDE", then it's going to stay slow and buggy. You would probably gain more time in the long run by switching to UEStudio than you would lose by taking the time to learn how to take full advantage of UEStudio and get it configured properly.

My 2 cents.

EDIT: Oh, yes... one of the things I hated at first about using UEStudio to do the compiling/building, is that I enjoyed being able to "auto-increment" the build number. I wrote a short program that will read my version resource file, increment the number in it, save it, and then call RC to compile it. It is then linked into my program, and I have automatic build number incrementing each time I "build" the program. Saves me a bit of effort. You'll find there are ways to automate most tasks like this, even if you have to write a script or small command line tool to do it. That's another benefit of UEStudio.