NewbieNewbie

Mar 24, 2007#16

Same here. I try to install Uedit 12.10 and 13.00. Neighter seem to install.
    When I seach for the process with taskmgr, I see it (it's aprox 9MB in size), but it doesn't do anything.

I have to comment that the installer did work in the past, I could install them (12.10 and 13.00) perfectly. So maybe an microsoft update screwed it up somehow.

I run Microsoft Windows XP Prof x64, with all updates applied (latest greatest, not I think). The last major update I applied was "servicepack 2". So the difference is in there somewhere. Don't we love these updates from microsoft?! ;)

When I check uesetup.exe file with "Dependency Walker" I see it's missing a file. It's missing this file: devmapi.dll. But I don't know if this is a problem for the installer to fail.

Hope you guy's fix this soon.

Thank you,
    marcus

Apr 22, 2007#17

I sure hope this gets resolved soon -- I have a new computer with IE7 and no chance to uninstall it. My version of UE is 10.something but it works just wonderful for me and I have no need to upgrade for any reason.

Just wondering... does UltraEdit create any registry entries? If not, then maybe I could just copy my UltraEdit folder from my old computer to my new one. I think I'll try that.

-------------------------------------------

I agree with the previous comment that the installer UE uses isn't very good.

I suggest that they use this installer: http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Users

Its free (open source) but extremely powerful and flexible. Should meet their needs just fine.

-- my 2 cents

--
      oldgoatroper

NewbieNewbie

Apr 24, 2007#18

So the problem exists for 9 months now and hasn't been resolved yet?

Is there any way to bypass this?

Site AdminSite Admin

Apr 25, 2007#19

If you write an email to IDM which is the only method of support directly from IDM, you would receive the following response:

======================================
          When IE7 was released, the developers discovered an issue it created with our installer. They have since adjusted the installer with a workaround that is compatible with IE7 for v11.20b and greater.

There are three methods for working around the IE7 issue with earlier versions of UltraEdit.

1) You can purchase an upgrade from our website to install and register the most current version of UltraEdit on your system, or

2) You can uninstall IE7, then install UltraEdit, then reinstall IE7, or

3) we can send you the post-installation files for v(9/10/10.2) of UltraEdit.

If you choose the last method, you can still register UltraEdit, but you will not be able to use the shell-integration features such as the right-click context menu in explorer or file-association settings (UltraEdit needs to write to the registry for these).
          ======================================

Version 11 and greater will install with IE7.

You can also try the MSI installer version.

NewbieNewbie

Jun 14, 2007#20

Hi all,
            today I run in the same Problem while installing UEDIT32 on a PC with IE7 installed.
            My registered UEDIT Version is 12 and therefore I can't find a MSI Version for installation. Only the newest UEDIT Version is available as MSI Installer.
            I tried several times to install it and found a solution.
            I downloaded today UEDIT Version 13.10 as MSI installer.
            After that I installed this version and closed UEDIT without tipping the registration Information.
            Then I run the install of my UEDIT Version 12 from uesetup.exe and with the MSI-Version installed the installation runs fine without "doing nothing". Just override the MSI Version in the same directory and answer yes if you get a hint that newer files exists.

This was my workaround to install my old registered UEDIT Version on a PC running IE7

Just give it a try!

Best Regards
            Tom

NewbieNewbie

Aug 29, 2007#21

I tried every way that mentioned above and it didn't work.

And, I finally found the way to install so easy.
              Here is how to do.

1. Install an older version of ultraedit in any computer that has no IE7. I call this a temp machine. Don't run or register the ultraedit in the temp machine.

2. Copy the ultraedit directory (ex C:\Program Files\UltraEdit) from the temp machine to your machine ( ex C:\UltraEdit).

3. Create a registry file (ul.reg) manually by adding following

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UltraEdit-32]
              @="{b5eedee0-c06e-11cf-8c56-444553540000}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{b5eedee0-c06e-11cf-8c56-444553540000}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{b5eedee0-c06e-11cf-8c56-444553540000}\InProcServer32]
              @="C:\\Program Files\\UltraEdit\\ue32ctmn.dll"
              "ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

4. Double click the registry file to import into your machine registry. It will create ultraedit link to the windows explorer right click.

5. That's it. Run and Register it. But, you have to set the config file (syntax highlight, tag,...) again.

So easy...isn't it?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 30, 2007#22

JamesYoon wrote:And, I finally found the way to install so easy.
                This will not completely register UltraEdit, it registers only the shell extension DLL and there is already a topic about manual registering the shell extension at Right click to "Open in UltraEdit" (context menu). I don't want to write here what is not working with this method and under which conditions.

I don't understand why it is so difficult to contact IDM support per email asking for the install EXE with a fixed Ghost Installer and telling them your registration data for verifying that you have purchased the license for the older version where you need now the fixed install package.

I think, but I'm not sure, that IDM has repacked older versions with a fixed Ghost Installer (v10.xx and later). They are only not available in the download area as it is normal for shareware programs because of dozens of cracks and key generators for older versions available on the WWW. As owner of a valid and purchased license you get the fixed install package for free.

See also the FAQ entry: How can I download a previous or older version of UltraEdit?

NewbieNewbie

Oct 27, 2007#23

This bug still exists on UltraEdit 13.20. I'm trying to install on a VM - Windows 2003 SP2 with IE7 installed. I've tried several versions of UE. I see the splash screen when I execute uesetup.exe, but then nothing.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 27, 2007#24

Is VM = Virtual Machine?

Maybe you have disabled in your virtual machine any access to WWW and therefore the setup hangs or something similar.

Note: It is possible to install UE without a connection to WWW as all my installs are done, but maybe the sockets must be initialized. That could be answered only by Ethalone Solutions, Inc.

What about the MSI version? The installation with the Microsoft Installer should always work on Windows.

NewbieNewbie

Oct 29, 2007#25

Yeah, this is a virtual machine (VMWare workstation). WWW access works fine, I just pulled up yahoo in IE7. I'm not sure how to tell what MSI version is installed with Windows, but the machine is fully updated. Also has .NET 2 and 3 installed. I'm not going to deal with the Ghost Install people to figure out how to get UE installed. I write the InstallShield setups for my company, and I don't tell my clients to go to the IS forums to solve their setup problems. UE is a pretty simple app compared to what else is installed on this machine (Office 2003, SQL Server 2005 Client, .NET frameworks, Visual Studio 2005).

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 30, 2007#26

Then use the MSI installer version. And this is a user-to-user forum not watched by the IDM support. If you want to report a bug, you must send a bug report email to IDM support. That should be no problem for a registered user. You have paid for that support.

NewbieNewbie

Oct 31, 2007#27

Worked. Thanks!

NewbieNewbie

Aug 19, 2009#28

I just upgraded to Windows 7 (we have an MSDN subscription) and afterwards I had the same setup problem with my old registered version 13 and I didn't want to buy a new version since I was quite satisfied with 13.

Here is how I solved the problem just fine:

1. I installed the newest UltraEdit trial version, currently this is version 15.
                            2. I copied the UltraEdit folder from my old Windows XP program files folder and pasted it into the folder in which I just installed the new version. So version 15 exe was replaced with the old UltraEdit version 13 exe.
                            3. I started UltraEdit version 13 and entered my reg code.

Jul 13, 2012#29

This worked for me on Win7 64-bit:

To install 9.1 on Win7 machines, run normal installer and attempt to register.
                              Then copy contents of old WinXP directory Uedit to new directory on Win7 machine (Program Files x86\Uedit)

I'll deal with context menu handler later.

Read more posts (-1 remaining)