Use Menu Configurations and Environments/Layouts (solved)

Use Menu Configurations and Environments/Layouts (solved)

NewbieNewbie

Aug 03, 2012#1

I want custom menu bars. Right click\Manage Menu Configurations and I see a look of names. Programmer, Advanced & Permit (My Own) appear on the top of menu before going into Manage Menu Configurations. Selecting one of these 3 does nothing different, Menus.

1. Only 3 names appear for a choice.
    2. How do I get the rest as a selection, NotePad Replacement, Power User etc.
    3. If Permit appears on the upper part of menu and selected,arrow, If I add to menu it should change right?
    4. When in document & RightClick, content menu, I want to get ride of many items on this menu.
    a. Can I save menu before deleting (So i can return to default)
    b. What is this menu called. I need to find to change, if allowed to change.

I'm using the most recent UltraEdit version, which I will purchase on Friday. That is if I can figure this thing out. That's no true! I will be buying on Friday!

Whats first Chicken or Egg? I'm very serious. It seems there is a way to customize the menu with no clear way to select the menu. Try and find it in the HelpMenu. Not flaming, just confused!

Bob

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 03, 2012#2

Before you start customizing any menus or toolbars and therefore change the environment, you should save the current environment with a customized name. Open View - Environments (in UE v20.00 and later: View - Manage - Layouts) and use button Save Current State As. After doing that you should click on button Reset Built-In Environments (Reset Selected Layout) to restore them if you have already made modifications. Select your environment and close the dialog with button Select Environment (Select Layout).

Note: On first start after an upgrade UltraEdit often asks the user for updating the menus and/or toolbars. You can accept those updates as the update is done only on built-in environments/layouts and never on custom environments/layouts. New features/commands must be added to a custom environment/layout always manually by the user.

Now right click on the menu and left click in context menu on Customize Menu to customize the main menu. Right click on a toolbar and left click in context menu on Customize Toolbar to modify the toolbar of the active custom environment/layout.

The context menu opened on right clicking into a document window has at bottom the command Customize Menu. After right clicking on tab of a file, there is again Customize Menu at bottom of the file tabs context menu to customize also this menu. These are the only 2 context menus which can be customized. All other context menus are built-in in resources of UltraEdit and can't be customized.

The customization dialogs for the toolbar and the 3 menus (main menu, file tabs context menu, document window context menu) can be opened also in Advanced - Configuration - Toolbars / Menus - Customization.

Edit: Environments became Layouts in UE v20.00. But everything else than the name did not change.

NewbieNewbie

Aug 03, 2012#3

Your response was better than I could expect. I'm up and running and loving it.

Thanks again
        Bob