Is there a way to highlight tabs in UltraEdit???

Is there a way to highlight tabs in UltraEdit???

Basic UserBasic User

May 05, 2005#1

In the company I work, we DESPISE tabs in our VHDL code. People tend to either use CodeWright or UltraEdit. I know in CodeWright there's a way to automatically show tabs as a specific color, such as red, so that it's obvious when a document contains tabs just by opening it. Is there a way to do something similar in UltraEdit? I know in the View menu there's an option to show both spaces and tabs, but this is really annoying and I don't want to see spaces. I'm currently using version 10.20d. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

~Brian

NewbieNewbie

May 05, 2005#2

Well, I suppose you could add a color group to the wordfile called something like "Tabs", then input a tab for its only keyword, then select a background color for that color group (making sure to uncheck the "Background Color Automatic" checkbox). Of course, this would only work with syntax highlighed files and you'd have to add a color group for each filetype, so it's not a perfect solution to your problem.

Basic UserBasic User

May 09, 2005#3

This seems to work good EXCEPT for lines with comments on them. For example, in VHDL the comment is "--", so lines with tabs preceded by the comments don't show up this way. Do you know if there is any way around this?

NewbieNewbie

May 10, 2005#4

Nope, I don't know of any way around that. You can change the background color for comments, but it won't distinguish between spaces, tabs, or any other characters. So that's another reason why suggestion wouldn't work well as a permanent solution.

Advanced UserAdvanced User

May 11, 2005#5

Hi BWilson79

This isn't what you ask but I use "Column Markers"

Pull down menu "View" --> "Show Column Marker 1"
            Pull down menu "View" --> "Show Column Marker 2"

You have to set them up before hand.
            Pull down menu "View" --> "Set Column Marker"

Hope this Helps

Basic UserBasic User

May 11, 2005#6

I'm not exactly sure how the column markers would help me.

However, I was wondering if there was a way one could redefine what the space and end line characters were in UltraEdit to something like null. That way I could use the View->Show Spaces/Tabs option permanently and it would only show the tabs. Does this make sense and could it work? I'm not sure how to redefine those characters though.