Disable autoscroll with middle mouse button

Disable autoscroll with middle mouse button

NewbieNewbie

Nov 02, 2009#1

Is there any way to disable the auto-scroll feature? Basically when you move your mouse scroll wheel enough it popus up with a 4 arrow icon that allows you to scroll the file by using the mouse alone.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 03, 2009#2

Yes, in the device settings of the mouse under Control Panel - Mouse. This is not a feature of UltraEdit, it is a feature of your mouse driver.

NewbieNewbie

Nov 03, 2009#3

I thought the same thing, but I can't get the same behavior in any other program (with the exception of FF which I disabled). I'll keep looking, thanks.

NewbieNewbie

Nov 03, 2009#4

When I middle-click in any document, the cursor turns into a four-way arrow and is in panning or scrolling mode. How do I turn this feature off? I can't find anything in the mouse drivers settings.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 04, 2009#5

There is no setting in UltraEdit to disable the autoscroll feature of the mouse (driver). Or is it the Windows GUI? I searched in WWW and found many, many pages where users asked for disabling the autoscroll feature when pressing the middle mouse button (= wheel). It looks like when the mouse driver does not support disabling it or disabling the middle mouse button, you are out of luck. Firefox has such a setting, but according to my searches it is the only application where autoscroll can be disabled, at least I could not find anything other.

NewbieNewbie

Nov 04, 2009#6

I'm in your boat boliva. I don't doubt this is inherent mouse behavior, but I can't figure out why it's supported in UE and not Notepad or my junkie free Crimson Editor. I was able to duplicate similar behavior in Word, but slightly different. In UE the autoscroll pops up with excessive mouse wheel movement as well as clicking the wheel. It also stays in place until you click somewhere on the page. In Word, it only appears while you hold down the wheel (aka center mouse button). I often highlight giant sections of code using the left button + scroll. This hoses that up badly and thus I've had to try to retrain behavior I've been doing for years. I hate to complain, especially about a product I just started using, but I'm at my wits end here.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 05, 2009#7

Sorry, but on my Windows XP with SP3 32-bit even Wordpad and Notepad support autoscroll on middle mouse button (wheel) click. My mouse is a simple 2 button mouse with a clickable wheel in the middle, nothing special. The mouse is an old Microsoft IntelliMouse 1.3A PS2 with a ball (Dell by Microsoft) and I have not installed the IntelliMouse driver. I'm just using the standard PS/2 Compatible Mouse driver.

But it is right that the application must support this feature. I found in changes.txt the line

- Mouse wheel scrolls window under mouse pointer

in the section of v12.20.

So this is definitely a feature especially implemented by IDM (using a standard Windows function). I think your main problem is that you use the wrong mouse because it looks like your wheel is too sensitive on click. Maybe you should think about spending 10 dollars to buy a mouse with more resistance for wheel click.

On the other hand has somebody of you contacted IDM support by email and asked if there is a non documented setting to disable that feature?

NewbieNewbie

Jan 11, 2010#8

I'm not the type to return to a product page and run it down, but I thought I'd at least follow up for anyone else with this issue.

I was never able to find a fix. Frankly, it enraged me every time I wanted to select a block of code and was tossed into autoscroll mode. I could have dealt with if it had the sensitivity hadn't been so high so that a slight movement of my mouse sent me dozens or hundreds of rows away from my mark. This issue coupled with the insane way it handled tabs (really? When I want to indent or remove indention on a giant block of text it has to run through every line?). So the long and short is I had to abandon UltraEdit. I'm not going to seek a refund as it delivered what it said it would, just not in the method that was useful to me. However, I switched back to my freebie editor running in compatibility mode and that fixes several of the issues I had. They actually released and update after 5+ years of inactivity a couple of weeks ago as well.

Anyway, thanks a ton to those of you who took a stab at this. Goodluck out there!

NewbieNewbie

Sep 20, 2012#9

I fixed this autoscroll problem by downloading the latest driver for my mouse (Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3000 with Nano). Then I was able to go to Control Panel - Printers and Other Hardware - Mouse which allowed me to set the wheel button to "Disabled". This still allows me to scroll with the wheel. I had to get the driver from CNET since Microsoft had just the 64-bit XP driver available.