UltraEdit leaves instance as process when closed - W7 x64 SP1

UltraEdit leaves instance as process when closed - W7 x64 SP1

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 02, 2012#1

Hello,

Someone can confirm if latest version (18.00.0.1034) of UltraEdit leaves instances in the processor list (via Task Manager) when is closed?.
    This issue avoid that UltraEdit can be started (you must to close manually the instances in Task Manager). The issue occurs using Windows 7 Sp1 x64.

Thank you.

Power UserPower User

Apr 02, 2012#2

Hi, I'm also running UE 18.00.0.1034 on Win7 Pro X64 SP1 and when I close it it disappears from the task manager process list about a second later. Did you have any indication that those instances left in your task list were still doing any sort of processing? You could check this with Process Monitor from Sysinternals (Microsoft).

Cheers...

Frank

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 03, 2012#3

Hi Frank,

Thank you for the tip respect to Process Monitor.

Using this tool i can see that UltraEdit is performing scanning tasks at background. Mainly with ShellEx FolderExtensions, and accessing to C:\Windows\CSC\2.0.6\namespace , processing .bmp files available in a network connection, and IRP_MJ_CREATE / FASTIO_QUERY_INFORMATION, FASTIO_NETWORK_QUERY_OPERATION, etc.
        Really I don't know what is happening. I did uninstall the application and reinstalled.. but the issue remains.

Thank you

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 03, 2012#4

The CSC directory (CSC = Client Side Caching) is for the Offline files and folders feature of Windows 7. So I'm quite sure that not uedit32.exe itself accesses the files. Instead you edit files on a network folder or indeed the offline version of a network file and the file system service running in the background tries to synchronize the offline folder with the network folder. In the meantime UltraEdit waits until the file system function returns which obviously does not happen at all.

See Understanding offline files and Configuring New Offline Files Features for Windows 7 Computers Step-by-Step Guide.

Perhaps it is better to turn off the offline files feature for the network folder you work on currently.

Or you try first the configuration setting Copy file instead of using rename when creating backup file in UltraEdit at Advanced - Configuration - File Handling - Advanced in case you have configured UltraEdit to create backups on every save in the same directory as the edited file.

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 03, 2012#5

Hi Mofi,

Thank you for your reply.. I will to try your suggestions.
            ..but.. why is attempting to process bitmap files (bmp)?. I'm not working in a file placed in a network. Not in this session. I remember that .bmp file was opened for compare (using the free version of UltraCompare, for testing purposes only) process many weeks ago.

Regards
            CQ

Apr 03, 2012#6

The feature Offline files and folders has been disabled and the issue remains. Copy file instead of using rename when creating backup file feature has been enabled too.

Seems like UltraEdit is querying or searching in all extensions defined into HKCU\Software\Classes\. Look following snip info from log file (.sys, .bmp, .paint):

A bug report has been sent to IDM support team because this behavior is really annoying. :(

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 04, 2012#7

Yes, UltraEdit does this, but only when opening the Configuration dialog, not on startup, during an editing session or on exit. UltraEdit must scan all HKCR\.* on opening the configuration to find out with which file types UltraEdit is associated with to initialize the list for the File Associations configuration dialog. While in most applications an association of the application is possible with only a few predefined file types and so only those file types must be checked, UltraEdit allows associations with any file type and therefore must scan all existing file types.

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 04, 2012#8

Hi Mofi,

Yes.. I can see this behavior now that you mention it. FYI, I want share with you my last communication with support team:

Thank you for your reply.

I want give to you some observations:
                  IDM wrote:When you uses the free lite version of UltraCompare, you can't remove the files that you did choose in the comparison process. Maybe a clear button is necessary to remove all previous paths to files that were compared.

At last two weeks, I remember that I did use UltraCompare to compare two bitmap files, this images are hosted in another machine, but previously one file of this type was opened with UltraEdit in HEX mode. Maybe, for this reason UltraEdit start to looking for at background mode or associate this extension with it. The rare issue is that UltraEdit don't close and continue processing files in the path where the comparison was processed.

Another thing to consider is related to another third part application that is currently associated with this extension .bmp, this application currently is running (I can confirm that Yes because I'm using ACDSee Pro, that has some processes running at background too), causing the issues with sync process, I don't know...I guess..

Another task that I did was uninstall Norton Symantec EndPoint Antivirus..., maybe this AV application was causing some troubles with files processed at background for UltraEdit.

And for last task, I did uninstall UltraEdit, remove all folders related to UltraEdit and IDM Computer, and reinstall UltraEdit again. Next, I ran one tool to clean all bad references from Windows Registry (because UltraEdit does not remove the New | UltraEdit document (.txt) command in the contextual menu for Windos Explorer) and now..., UltraEdit closes ok when you press the X red button.
                  The big issue here is that UltraEdit was or is processing at background files in a network location, and items in the Windows Registry. The issue has been confirmed for another users and IDM's developers are working in this with priority level.

Regards

Sep 20, 2012#9

Hi,

Some fix for this issue?.. I need to close manually the UltraEdit process (via Task Manager) to can open a new instance of UltraEdit and edit my files.

Thank you :o

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 21, 2012#10

Whether the hotfix lists nor the lists of fixes sent to UltraEdit beta testers contain any information about this issue, most likely because it is a problem which exists only on 2 computers according to information posted here. I'm using in the meantime also UE v18.20.0.1017 on Windows 7 x64 additionally to Windows XP x86 and there is no problem on exit of UltraEdit.

Have you ever tried if using button Clear History at Advanced - Configuration - Toolbars / Menus - Miscellaneous solves the problem?

UltraCompare Professional does not have such a button to clear history, but you nevertheless can clear UC's history either in "%appdata%\IDMComp\UltraCompare\uc.ini" or in Windows registry using Regedit under key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraCompare Pro\UltraCompare Professional by searching for history.

Another suggestion I can offer is to temporarily rename directory "%appdata%\IDMComp\UltraEdit" while no instance of UltraEdit is definitely not running anymore for example to UltraEdit_bak and start UltraEdit which creates not all configuration files completely new like on first start after first installation. If exit of UltraEdit works now fine, the problem is caused perhaps also by a configuration setting of UltraEdit together with another problem on your machine. In recreating all new fixes the problem, I suggest to copy all files except uedit32.ini from UltraEdit_bak to newley created UltraEdit application data directory while UE is not running and test again exit. If still working, the problem is caused by uedit32.ini and you better ignore this file in UltraEdit_bak and reconfigure UltraEdit. You may copy from previous uedit32.ini with Notepad while UE is not running some sections like [Tools] and/or [Scripting] into newly created uedit32.ini to do not need to configure all user tools and the scripting list again.

Basic UserBasic User

Sep 21, 2012#11

Hi Mofi,

Yesterday was a day of testing and testing in UltraEdit settings to see how solved this problem really annoying.

In the end, thank God I found a solution: I set the C drive as the root of the file window, so that network drives are not considered now by UltraEdit. We see that the problem is caused by the network drives.

Now, the problem has been fixed.

Greetings.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 22, 2012#12

CFQueb, please read my post on Startup drive access.

It might be interesting if unchecking the settings listed in the referenced post, exiting UltraEdit, starting UE again, making all drives visible again on Explorer tab of File Tree View and exiting now UltraEdit with changed configuration results again in an endless running UltraEdit without visible window.

If you never open files on a network drive for viewing/editing in UltraEdit, I suggest to uncheck configuration setting Show Network browser in Explorer view too.

Basic UserBasic User

Sep 24, 2012#13

Hi Mofi,

The steps that you recommend were performed with same result if the File View Tree is visible and not root directory is set to a local path address. Setting the C:\Temp as root folder, fixes the issue.

Thank you for your support!

Regards