Scrolling menus?

Scrolling menus?

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 11, 2013#1

In UltraEdit, if the menu selection has more items than can be shown, the menu item expands vertically -- up and down to show all the items. That's fine unless I then need to access a menu bar item that is being covered by the expanded menu.

Is there a way to have the menus scroll as opposed to expand fully?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 12, 2013#2

The behavior of how a menu is displayed when vertical space is not enough to show the menu completely below the menu bar is defined inside Microsoft's GDI+ and it would need lots of coding work to change this as entire menu controls must be recoded.

It's true that the standard Edit and the View menu require already entire vertical space on a screen with only 800 pixel height, UE window at top or maximized and standard font size used for menu items.

I warned already IDM about those two menus having too many items in my point of view and suggested to move some items into a submenu. For example in menu View the 5 font items could be moved into a submenu reducing the number of items in menu View by 4.

But my suggestions was not yet implemented. Maybe there are not many users having such a small screen, or not having UE window at top of screen or use large font size for menu on small screens. Perhaps IDM thinks that such users simply can customize the menu and remove or move those items not often needed which of course users can really do.

If an opened menu covers a menu bar item you want to access, hit key ESC and menu collapses. For example if you click on menu View and it covers the menus Format, Column, Macro, Scripting, Advanced and Window and you want to access one of those menus, hit ESC to collapse/hide this menu and get just View in menu bar selected so that you can open another menu by key (menu letter or right/left arrow) or mouse.

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 24, 2013#3

OK, thanks Mofi.

Regards,
        Chuck Billow