UE in right-click menu can't open files with Unicode path (fixed)

UE in right-click menu can't open files with Unicode path (fixed)

NewbieNewbie

Mar 17, 2013#1

Hi all,

Just came across a strange problem.

My UltraEdit (17.30), if started from the right-click menu, would not be able to open the files with Chinese characters in its path names. In contrast, if I start UE by double-clicking its desktop icon, and select File - Open to open the same file, it could be opened without any problem.

Looks something wrong with my setting or installation options?

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 18, 2013#2

I would not be surprised if the shell extension DLL does not support file names with Unicode characters. While uedit32.exe references GetCommandLineA (ANSI version) AND GetCommandLineW (wide char version) of kernel32.dll, the 32-bit shell extension DLL ue32ctmn.dll references only GetCommandLineA.

So your better ask IDM support by email if the shell extension DLL(s) of UltraEdit support file names with Unicode characters at all.

NewbieNewbie

Mar 18, 2013#3

Thank you, Mofi.

Just shot them an email. Hopefully, I could receive their reply. Will let you know their answer on this issue, :)

Mar 18, 2013#4

Yes, it is confirmed that this is a defect with v17.30, and has been resolved with the latest v19 version.

3 days later: Looks like the problem has been resolved with the currently latest version 19.00.0.1027.

Thanks again.