Configure extensions for "zip" archives

Configure extensions for "zip" archives

NewbieNewbie

Feb 10, 2006#1

How can I configure UC to open JARs, EARs, WARs, etc. since it handles zips..?

NewbieNewbie

Nov 23, 2006#2

Hi,

a lot of file types are in fact zipped file (for example .ear, .war, ...)
      Is there a way to add those extensions to a UC list (for instance in "Preferences") so that those extensions are considered as zip files during comparisons ?

Thanks

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 26, 2006#3

This is not possible currently with UltraCompare v4.10a (as far as I know). Please write an email with your feature request to IDM support.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

May 03, 2013#4

Since this thread's last post, it looks like UC now recognizes .rar and .jar extensions as folder archives. Can it now handle .ear and .war files as well? My shop makes use of them, often with one nested inside the other, with .jar archives nested in turn.

I'm running UC 8.50.0.1021.

Thanks!

Brian Ray

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 04, 2013#5

As far as I know it is still not possible to configure which file extensions should be interpreted as ZIP compressed archives. The additional file extensions recognized in the meantime by UC v8.50.0.1021 are all hard coded inside uc.exe.

If UC does not yet support EAR and WAR as it looks like, you need to request an enhancement of UltraCompare for EAR and WAR files by email to IDM support.

NewbieNewbie

May 07, 2013#6

Thanks Mofi. I'll do that.

NewbieNewbie

Aug 17, 2021#7

any chance this is possible in 2021? I'd love to be able to set up custom extensions as actual zip files

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 17, 2021#8

It does not look so. There is still no option in UltraCompare Professional for Windows v21.10.0.46 to associate file extensions with archive file formats supported by UltraCompare. It looks like not enough users have requested such a customization feature up to know.

There is on ribbon tab Home in last group Configure the item Set mode per extension... which is a menu item in menu Options in toolbar/menu mode. This configuration dialog makes it possible to define which file extension should be interpreted as text file or as binary file and gives the user also the possibility to enter a description for a file extension. This configuration is saved in the UTF-16 LE encoded file UCExts32.exf in the directory %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraCompare.

This file contains at beginning of a line the type which is either TXT or BIN for text or binary files, or ARC for archives, or DIR for folders. The next byte has the value 7 (BEL) and is obviously used as separator to the file extension. After the file is extension is one more byte with value 7 as separator to the description.

I could see ARCBEL*.zipBELZIP archive in this file and thought that it is perhaps possible to define directly in this application data file of UltraCompare a file association with ZIP archive format by adding the line ARCBEL*.tstBELZIP archive using UltraEdit. Then I made two copies of two existing ZIP files with changing the file extension from zip to tst, started UltraCompare, switched to folder compare mode and tried to drag and drop the first *.tst file into left folder comparison pane. That did not work unfortunately. UltraCompare does not interpret the file with file extension tst as ZIP archive file despite the added line in file UCExts32.exf as it still does with the original ZIP file with file extension zip.

Conclusion: More people have to request the feature to associate other file extensions than zip with ZIP archive format and other file extensions than rar and jar with RAR archive format.
                  Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria