Can "File Tree View" sort files by last modification date?

Can "File Tree View" sort files by last modification date?

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 17, 2013#1

Hello

I currently use the Open File Tabs because windows are listed by their creation date, with the most recent files at the end.
    But when too many windows are open, the upper half gets clutered, and I would rather use the File Tree View instead:

ultraedit.openfiles.png (73.85KiB)

However, the File Tree View lists files alphabetically.

Does someone know if it's possible to reconfigure UE so that files in the File Tree View are sorted by their creation date instead?

Thank you.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 17, 2013#2

In the lower pane of the Explorer tab in File Tree View where the files are listed you can click on the column header to define the sort order of the file list. The default is by Name in ascending order. The other columns are Date modified, Type and Size. The rarely used creation date is not available, just the date of last modification.

Please note that selected column and order (ascending/descending) for listing the files is not saved on exit of UltraEdit. So you have to click again on date modified column header after starting UltraEdit to get the files listed according to modification date.

Click on the envelope icon with tooltip Split Pane at top of the Explorer tab if you cannot see the lower pane with the files in currently selected directory. A split view with upper half showing only folders and lower half showing only files is available since UE v17.00.

Basic UserBasic User

Jul 29, 2013#3

Thanks for the tip. I'm still using UE 15, so that's why there's no way to pane in the File Tree View so I can sort the files. I'll upgrade to 17.

Jul 30, 2013#4

Mofi wrote:In the lower pane of the Explorer tab in File Tree View where the files are listed you can click on the column header to define the sort order of the file list. [...] Click on the envelope icon with tooltip Split Pane at top of the Explorer tab if you cannot see the lower pane with the files in currently selected directory. A split view with upper half showing only folders and lower half showing only files is available since UE v17.00.
          I upgraded to release 19, but can't see the column header nor the "envelop icon" you mention:
          ultraedit19.list.file.tree.by.date.jpg (49.03KiB)

Is it some item in the menu bar instead?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 30, 2013#5

I wrote "in the lower pane of the Explorer tab", your screenshot shows the Open tab. There is no special file pane for the Open Files tab. You have not written which tab in File Tree View you want the files listed by date and therefore I wrote in my first reply about the Explorer tab which seems to make most sense for me for listing files by last modification date and which has the feature to list files in a selected directory according to file date.

The Open Files tab has only the feature to sort first by extension and second by file name instead of file name only.

A feature like listing the open files based on last modification date (not displayed at all in the open files tab) and second by file name is not yet available in UE v19.10 for the Open Files tab.

Do you know that you can dock the open files tab bar also on left or right side to get the file tabs listed vertically instead of horizontally above the document windows?

Take a look on How to configure the appearance of the open file tabs bar in UE v15.00 and later? where you can see a screenshot of open file tabs listed vertically on right side.

Basic UserBasic User

Jul 30, 2013#6

Thanks for the tip and sorry about the confusion.

After checking "Enable tiling/Dockable tags" in the Windows menu, I could successfuly move the Open Files tab to the left, and files seems to be sorted by date so the most recent files are at the bottom.

Thank you.

Aug 20, 2013#7

I noticed an issue, though: Once the Open Files list is full enough, it doesn't seem possible to scroll down/up through the list:
                ultra.edit.scroll.down.open.files.png (14.04KiB)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 20, 2013#8

Yes, that is unfortunately right. The open files tab view does not offer a vertical scroll bar whether when docked at top nor when docked on right/left side. The other two options for dockable file tabs - Single Line - scrollable and Single Line - drop down file list - are of no use with an open file tabs docked on right / left side as with one of those two other options selected, always only one file tab at top (single line) is displayed. View file tabs docked on right/left side only Multiline Tabs option makes sense at all.

The only solution for acessing now files not in visible area is to double click on the title bar Open Files to undock the view and resize the now floating window to see all tabs. Docking the file tabs back to previous position can be done again with a double click on the title bar of the new floating window.

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 21, 2013#9

Thanks Mofi for the tip, but it unfortunately doesn't solve the issue: Even when docked out, it's not possible to reach the files at the bottom of the list that aren't shown :-/

Currently, the work-around I use is to get the list through Window > Windows, but the files are sorted by name or path, not creation or last modification date.

Hopefully, the Open Files list will be scrollable in later releases of UE.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 22, 2013#10

With the open file tabs bar floating you can increase the width of the window two display the file tabs in 2, 3, or more columns to see all of them.

At Advanced - Configuration - Application Layout - Advanced there is the setting Old-style window list which determines the sorting order of the document windows in the list. Press button Help to read details about this setting. A listing according to last modification date is not possible in this list.

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 22, 2013#11

Thanks for the tip. The help file only says this about that setting:
                        Old-style window list

If this option is selected, open files will be dynamically listed at the bottom of the Window menu based on the order in which they were opened. If this option is not selected, open files will be listed here, but their order will vary based on a last active file order.
                        I didn't pull the list wide enough for files to be displayed horizontally. It's a good work-around until UE supports scrolling vertically through the list. Actually, there's no need to dock the list out: Simply pulling the right side far enough to the right displays the list big enough to display a lot of files (I don't have enough to see what happens when that bigger list is full, though):
                        ultra.edit.widdened.open.files.list.png (19.97KiB)