Move/clone to new instance/other pane

Move/clone to new instance/other pane

NewbieNewbie

Mar 18, 2012#1

Hi,

This feature would allow you to right-click on a tab and an option would come up to move or duplicate it to another instance or another pane. This is a feature similar to that offered in Notepad++, netbeans, and visual studio. They are all implemented a little differently but with the same results. You can right-click or drag-n-drop the tabs. This is very handy to easily edit a document in 2 places at the same time or reference another file while editing another.

I understand that UE has a feature to duplicate a current tab, however there is no way to have it duplicate and move to another pane or instance. The problem is that if you have a bunch of files open simultaneously, you don't want to use the tile commands because it will tile all 10 or 15 files, making it unusable.

Regards,
    James

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 19, 2012#2

Why waiting for such a feature and not using already implemented features.

You can click on Advanced - Open New Instance of UltraEdit to open a new instance. Then either Drag And Drop a file tab from first to second instance or right click on the file tab and use Transfer To to close the file in first instance and open it in the second instance, i.e. move the file to the other instance. If the file to move is modified, UltraEdit automatically saves it first, before moving it to the other instance.

Another method is to create a user tool with command line:

"Full path of UE program files directory\uedit32.exe" /fni /r "%f"

On execution of this user tool a new instance of UltraEdit is created with opening current file in read-only mode because of /r parameter.

MasterMaster

Mar 19, 2012#3

If you'd like to edit 2 different sections of the same file at the same time, then perhaps a vertical or horizontal split pane is what you're looking for. I thought for sure Mofi would have included that in his answer. See the power tip, Drag-N-Drop Split Pane Editing, which should give you additional ways to accomplish what you're looking for without having to even use a second instance.

Mofi, I didn't even know you could do what you said. I always use an additional split pane, but I can see where that would come in handy as well.

Looks like there is always multiple ways to accomplish things in UE, which is why it always tops every other editor I try.

Well, James, you can move it to another pane, or to another instance, which are the 2 things you were looking for. Tiling is not necessary.

NewbieNewbie

Mar 19, 2012#4

Hi

Thank you very much. That's great. I just needed to setup the configuration to be able to drag-n-drop tabs. This was a really important feature. Thanks.

NewbieNewbie

Oct 17, 2013#5

I went to the link and have been messing with this for a couple hours but I cant find a way to clone a file to another pane so I can edit it in 2 different places and compare, etc. You can move it to another pane, but not close it.

Has anyone figured out how to do this? Its strange that notepad++ can do this easily but UE cant.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 17, 2013#6

There are several methods to work on two different places of same file.

The first one is using Window - Split Window which can be also achieved by left clicking on the small rectangle above the vertical scroll bar resulting in a change of the mouse pointer to a double line with an up and down arrow indicating that you now can move the dividing line displayed across the document window now up or down to split the document window into 2 panes. That's a common Windows feature which is supported also by MS Word, MS Excel, Adobe Reader, ... To get rid of the two panes of a document window, just move the dividing line to bottom or top of the document window and you get back a single pane window. Switching between the panes can be down by key using F6 or Shift+F6. (The keys can be changed in the key mapping configuration dialog - FocusNextPane, FocusPreviousPane.)

Next it is possible to duplicate a window by using Window - Duplicate Window. Now you have two separate document windows of same file in same instance of UltraEdit which you can arrange like you want, see How to configure the appearance of the open file tabs bar in UE v15.00 and later? where the document window management is also explained briefly.

Since UE v19.00 it is possible to drag a file tab outside of UltraEdit to open it in new instance of UltraEdit, i. e. move a document window with all its settings to a new instance of UE. For UltraEdit versions prior 19.00 first the new instance of UltraEdit must be started via the Advanced menu before the document window of a file can be moved into this new instance of UE.

And of course you can start a new instance of UltraEdit and open there the same file as long as you have configured to open files with usage of a temporary file. The fastest method to open a file a second time in another instance (clone document window) is perhaps using Edit - Copy File Path/Name, Advanced - Open New Instance of UltraEdit, Ctrl+O (File - Open) or Ctrl+Q (File - Quick Open), Ctrl+V (to paste copied file name with full path) and RETURN to open the file in the new instance.
              Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Oct 17, 2013#7

wow, I cant believe I missed that. I love the split feature!