How to turn off appending .txt to filename

How to turn off appending .txt to filename

NewbieNewbie

Jan 03, 2014#1

Ok, once again UltraEdit is behaving in a way that for me is non-productive, probably because I installed one of the BeGiZillion updates and it cleared my preferences.

Anyway, I have a file, for instance page1.php that I open then I save with a new name, say page2.php because I am going to edit it to do something else. Then I find that it is now page2.php.txt which I do not want it to be. I have looked through all of the Configuration options under the advanced menu and I cannot find any setting that appears to be causing this.

Please help.

Paul

MasterMaster

Jan 04, 2014#2

Look at Configuration->File Types. Remove unnecessary, add your prefer types (overall 10). Move to top more frequently used or *.*
      It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 06, 2014#3

Some more words on what Ovg suggested already.

The Save As dialog in UltraEdit is an overloaded version of the common Save As dialog of Windows with some enhancements (options).

The common Save As dialog of Windows appends automatically the first file extension of the selected file type on save to the file name, except
        1. the file name has already the file extension (not case-sensitive) as displayed (first) in the file type list on save,
        2. the selected file type on save contains a file extension with a wildcard character in file extension like *.
        So by moving list entry with *.* at Advanced - Configuration - File Types to top of the list, the automatic append of a file extension is turned off by default. When the user selects another file types list item before pressing button Save in the Save As dialog, the file extension of the file name is automatically replaced if one is already present by the (first) file extension of the selected file type, or the (first) file extension of the selected file type is appended to the currently displayed file name if there is currently no file extension.

This behavior occurs in all Windows applications using common Save As dialog of Windows.

What most applications do not support is a complete customization of the file types list used in Open and Save As dialogs.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria