Cursor in the middle of letter or number (fixed)

Cursor in the middle of letter or number (fixed)

NewbieNewbie

Jan 08, 2014#1

I have UEStudio 14.00.0.1012.

I am having an issue with the cursor appearing in the middle of the letters.
    It does not do this with the default font or several other fonts, but with Arial, Verdana, Calibri, or Times New Roman and others it messes up.
    What seems to cause this is a capital letter T followed by a lower case letter, like Te or Ta; the top of the T goes over the next letter which causes the cursor placement to be in the middle of the letter.
    Has anyone seen this? It is really messing with my ability to navigate through text.
    I will attach an example screenshot.

Dan
    cursorIssue.jpg (41.29KiB)
    Screenshot of text displayed with a proportional font with text cursor in the middle of a character

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 09, 2014#2

In general a fixed width font is used in text editors and not a proportional font like Arial, Verdana, Calibri, or Times New Roman.

But I agree that something is not working here as expected using Arial. Microsoft Word and Windows Notepad avoid that 2 characters overlap when using Arial and therefore the caret is blinking always right. UEStudio prior v10.20 and UltraEdit prior v16.20 avoided with Arial also that small letters a or e are partly below letter T and therefore the caret is blinking in those older versions of UES and UE also always fine on your example text with font Arial. I don't know if the behavior in UES/UE is the right one for font Arial as designed by font creator or the behavior of Word/Notepad and older versions of UES/UE is the right one.

So I can only suggest to use a fixed width font at the moment and report with an email to IDM support that with a proportional font like Arial and the example text on your screenshot the caret positioning does not work because UltraEdit displays some small letters partly in the area of an upper case letter resulting in a wrong text width calculation and hard editing.

I have reported this issue also to IDM support to increase the priority for fixing it and IDM support replied that the issue could be reproduced.

Update: The caret positioning issue with usage of a proportional font was fixed with UltraEdit for Windows v24.00.0.42 and UEStudio v17.00.0.16.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jan 09, 2014#3

Mofi,

Thanks for the reply.  I will send an email to support.
        I will just use a different font for now....

Dan