Reactivate spell checker after upgrade from Windows x86 to Windows x64 and restoring user config

Reactivate spell checker after upgrade from Windows x86 to Windows x64 and restoring user config

Basic UserBasic User

Jan 07, 2014#1

I just upgraded to Windows 8 x64 (64-bit) from Windows 7 x86 (32-bit). My spell checker stopped working. I knew that it was because my UltraEdit is 32-bit, and my OS is 64-bit, and UltraEdit thus is installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)". Here is how to fix it:
    1. Click on "Advanced"
    2. Click on "Configuration"
    3. Click on "Spell Checker"
    4. Expand "Dictionary directories"
    5. Change Aspell Parent Directory to the "base" UltraEdit folder. In the case of 32-bit UltraEdit, it would be "C:\Program Files (x86)\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit".
    I backed up and restored my configuration files, and in this case, my config file had the reference to "C:\Program Files" not "C:\Program Files (x86)", thus my spell checker stopped working.

Except for a few minor irritants, which most I've been able to tweak out, I find Windows 8 better. I know that Windows 8.1 is suppose to have the Start Menu back, but I haven't upgraded yet to 8.1 (yet). However I use Stardock's Start8 and it's wonderful. Besides getting the start menu back for only about $5, it skips the Start screen.

NewbieNewbie

Jan 12, 2014#2

Any user couldn't have guess that the spell checker doesn't work because it's a 32 bit program on a 64bit OS. Nice of you to put this up. I mean, I know a lot of users might run into this issue. :)