Hidden characters after undo in UE v20.00

Hidden characters after undo in UE v20.00

NewbieNewbie

Apr 30, 2014#1

Hi,

I have the following problem since UltraEdit 20.00.0.1056.

I cut some text with Ctrl+X, save the document. When I undo the change with Ctrl+Z in the first step no undo is done, instead one ore more squares are displayed, hitting Ctrl+Z again does the undo. Then I delete the square.

When I try to commit the file in svn the svn client mocks due inconsistent line ending style and the inline editor of the svn client shows some utf-8 characters at the place I deleted the little square.

This happens in 1 of 10 cases and is realy annoying.

A added two screenshots:

1) the hidden utf chars displayed in the inline editor of the svg client (these chars are not displayed by UltraEdit)
    2) the square after first undo
    2.jpg (11.47KiB)
    1.jpg (14.59KiB)

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 01, 2014#2

This is a user-to-user forum and no user can really help on this problem as it looks like an undo bug in source code of UltraEdit.

UE v20.00.0.1056 is not the currently latest version of UltraEdit. Click on Help - Check for Updates. If your license includes a free update to UE 21.10.0.1027 as reported back by the update check, you should do that.

If you can reproduce this undo problem, it would be good to describe step by step how to reproduce it. I have a lifetime license of UltraEdit and have also older versions of UE including v20.00.0.1056 archived ready for usage. So I could first try to reproduce the undo problem with UE v20.00.0.1056 according to your step by step instructions and if I have success, check if the same problem exists with the same steps on same file with same UltraEdit settings also in UE v21.10.0.1027.

Such problems can be often reproduced only with having also the file on which the problems occur and the UltraEdit configuration. The UltraEdit configuration is stored in file %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\uedit32.ini.

When I report such a problem to IDM support by email,
      • I close all files in UltraEdit and use in UltraEdit at Advanced - Configuration - Toolbars / Menus - Miscellaneous the button Clear history to delete all histories stored on exit in uedit32.ini.
      • After closing configuration dialog with button Cancel, I exit UltraEdit immediately.
      • Then I open directory %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit, create a copy of uedit32.ini in another directory and edit this copy with UltraEdit. I remove all file and directory paths which can be easily found by searching for :\ and additionally the groups [Tools] and [Scripting]. The copy of uedit32.ini contains now all my settings without private data which are of no interest for IDM support to reproduce the problem using my configuration.
      • Normally I finally rename uedit32.ini in %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit, copy the cleaned uedit32.ini into %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit, start UltraEdit and check a last time if the problem can be still reproduced using the cleaned uedit32.ini. After exit of UltraEdit, I delete uedit32.ini and rename back uedit32.ini with my complete configuration including user tools and scripts.
      • The cleaned uedit32.ini, and the file on which the problem can be reproduced, both packed into a ZIP or RAR file, and my step by step instructions are sent next by email to IDM support.
      All those steps with uedit32.ini need not to be always done when sending a bug report to IDM support. Most often a simple step by step instruction is enough. But undo issues are very, very difficult to reproduce when not having the exact same file and the same configuration. And as a developer I know that problems which can't be reproduce most often can't be fixed in source code. 50% of the work for fixing a problem caused by source code is done when the problem can be reproduced at any time with a detailed step by step instruction.

May 23, 2014#3

The list of changes for hotfix version 21.10.0.1032 of UltraEdit contains the entry:
        • Addressed memory issue with undo buffer under certain conditions
        It could be that the undo problem you have observed several times with v20.00.0.1056 is the undo problem which is fixed in build v21.10.0.1032.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria