Find in Files and output of found blocks instead of each first line only

Find in Files and output of found blocks instead of each first line only

NewbieNewbie

May 27, 2014#1

UltraEdit Professional Text/HEX Editor
    Version 21.10.0.1032
    Windows 7 Ultimate

Hello all. I am attempting to use the Find in Files feature with a RegEx that returns results that span several lines.
    I would like to have those results written to a new edit window in their entirety; however, when matches occur they result written to the edit window is ONLY the first line up to the newline character.

I think the resulting data and expression may best illustrate what I mean.

Code: Select all

Find '^<terminalCommand serialNumber="\d+4025" commandID="\d+">[\W]+?<timestamp>.*</timestamp>[\W]+?<terminalState id="\d+">CRADLED</terminalState>' in 'C:\temp\test.log\test.log.12' (5/23/2014 10:46:44 AM; 5/23/2014 3:32:38 PM):
    C:\temp\test.log\test.log.12(10410): <terminalCommand serialNumber="201154025" commandID="94">
    Found '^<terminalCommand serialNumber="\d+4025" commandID="\d+">[\W]+?<timestamp>.*</timestamp>[\W]+?<terminalState id="\d+">CRADLED</terminalState>' 1 time(s).
    Doing this same search with a normal find yields the entire match including the <crlf> in the Find String List window whenever a newline occurs. I can also select any or all of those results and then paste them to a new edit window and attain all of the match data (not just the first line). Hence the following:

Code: Select all

<terminalCommand serialNumber="201154025" commandID="94">

<timestamp>2014-05-23 06:45:48 GMT-04:00</timestamp>

<terminalState id="1">CRADLED</terminalState>

From reading the help file, it seems the only string result data is contained in the $S variable, and this variable cannot be altered.
    Is there a way that I can have Find in Files produce the entire match without truncating the match at the newline character?

Thank you in advance!

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 27, 2014#2

I was quite sure that UltraEdit supported multi-line output for Find in Files and therefore tested this with several versions of UltraEdit after I could see that UE v21.10.0.1032 writes only first line of found block to output window/results file.

Find in Files with multi-line output worked up to UE v18.20 with the minor problem that CRLF in input files was in output window/results file CRCRLF on all lines except the last one. But that could be fixed easily on results file by running a replace.

The Perl regular expression engine was updated in UE v19.00 and several other changes were made on Find/Replace feature. And those changes cause a different behavior on output of Find in Files when searching for a block. Now just the first line is written into the output window/results file.

I suggest to report this to IDM support by email as I don't think that this change in output behavior is on intention.

In the meantime it is only possible to workaround this problem by using an UltraEdit script which
      • searches first for files containing the block,
      • extracts the file names of those files,
      • opens each of those files,
      • finds and copies all blocks from each file to a user clipboard,
      • and finally pastes all found blocks into a new file.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

May 27, 2014#3

Excellent. Your help is always appreciated, Mofi.