Undo function generates string of odd characters (fixed)

Undo function generates string of odd characters (fixed)

Basic UserBasic User

May 28, 2014#1

Hello.

I'm probably overlooking something very simple, but I am encountering a problem whereby when I undo a replace it is generating a string of odd characters (looks a bit like Chinese to me) instead of the original text.

For example, the search string

Code: Select all

<p><span class="font4">^(*^)</span></p>
    to be replaced by

<p class="poemline">^1</p>
    works perfectly well, but when I undo the replace it generates a line of these odd characters:

瀀漀椀渀琀椀渀最 琀漀 琀栀攀 洀攀洀戀攀爀猀 漀昀 琀栀攀 栀漀甀
    I should add that I am using version 21.10.0.1032

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 28, 2014#2

I can't reproduce this undo problem. But I don't have the input file and you did not post what the file contains before running the replace.

See Hidden characters after undo in UE v20.00 for details on how to best report undo problems by email to IDM support so that the IDM developers can reproduce it and fix the bug.

There is nothing other users like me can tell you in such a case than save the file before running the replace to make it possible to undo the replaces using File - Revert to Saved if the file was not opened without using a temporary file.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

May 28, 2014#3

Thank you, Mofi. The text to be replaced was, for example:

<p><span class="font4">“Matthew, Mark, Luke and John,</span></p>
        <p><span class="font4">Bless the bed that I lie on.</span></p>
        <p><span class="font4">There are four corners to my bed,</span></p>
        <p><span class="font4">Around them are four angels spread,</span></p>
        <p><span class="font4">And if I die before I wake,</span></p>
        <p><span class="font4">I pray the Lord my soul to take.”</span></p>

in a basic html document. But if I even replace a left single quotation mark character with "lsquo;" when I use the undo function it does not restore the original character - it just leaves a blank space where it was. I will contact IDM support as you suggest.

May 28, 2014#4

Mofi, here is the document I am working on, albeit with the majority of content removed:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
          	"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
          <html>
          <head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"/><meta name="generator" content="ABBYY FineReader 11"/><link rel="stylesheet" href="popular-sayings-and-rhymes-of-ireland_files/popular-sayings-and-rhymes-of-ireland.css" type="text/css"/>
          </head>
          <body>
          <p><span class="font4">Matthew, Mark, Luke and John;</span></p>
          <p><span class="font4">Keep me O God till the day shall dawn.”</span></p>
          <p><span class="font4">As the children grow older their advance in years is still accompanied by suitable rhymes such as:—</span></p>
          <p><span class="font4">“Indeed and doubles,</span></p>
          <p><span class="font4">Spades and shovels,</span></p>
          <p><span class="font4">Curly kale and pratie stalks.”</span></p>
          <p><span class="font4">The Clanna Mileadh, or children of Milesius, having conquered Ireland, renamed the island “Scotia,” after their mother, Scota, the widow of King Milesius, who accompanied her sons and who was slain three days after their landing in Ireland, in a battle at Sliabh Mis, in which the Milesians, under the command of Heber, one of the sons of Miledh, were attacked by a strong body of Tuatha de Dannans, commanded by Queen Eire, whom, after a severe fight, they defeated. There was great loss on both sides, Queen Scota being the most notable on that of the Milesians, of whom an ancient bard has written:—</span></p>
          </body>
          </html>
          I have tried taking out the meta tag, doctype. etc., but the result is the same.

The problem appears to occur when the replace has been performed on "selected text". When it is done on "current file", the undo seems to work fine.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 28, 2014#5

Wonderful, the bug is now reproducible with UE v21.10.0.1032 under following conditions:
            1. The UTF-8 encoded file ... (see above) is opened in UltraEdit.
            2. The block ... (see above) is selected in the file.
            3. An UltraEdit regular expression Replace All with the search string <p><span class="font4">^(*^)</span></p> and the replace string <p class="poemline">^1</p> is executed on Selected text only.
            4. Undo is executed with Ctrl+Z.
            There is no problem on Undo if the Replace All is executed on current file instead of selected text. There is also no problem if the file is an ASCII/ANSI file even when Replace All is done on selected text only.

Do you have reported this problem already to IDM support by email or should I do it as I can reproduce it as well?

It does not really matter if you report this problem or I do it. Such a reproducible bug resulting in destroyed data gets automatically a very high priority (one below a crash) and is therefore quickly examined by an IDM developer and fixed.

Update: This problem was fixed with UltraEdit v21.20.0.1004.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria