Possible line change indicator and Replace All in columns bug(s) in Find/Replace

Possible line change indicator and Replace All in columns bug(s) in Find/Replace

Power UserPower User

May 29, 2014#1

This morning I was editing a Unix text file that was the output from a diff of two versions of a station location file. I use the output to annotate the changes in another file. I do a series of find/replaces to clear the document of the lines that contain block addresses and the block separators so that I end up with only the changed, deleted and added lines. I do not remove the line endings as I use the resulting blank lines to visually separate blocks. I do this job 2 to 3 times a month.

This was my first time running the job since upgrading from v17.30 to v21.10.0.1029 and there were issues. First, the global find/replace to get rid of the block separators worked but the line change markers were all offset by one line upwards after the first one for each line changed. So if I changed lines 1, 4, 7, and 11 for example, the line change markers would be on lines 1, 3, 5, and 8 (right, off by 1, off by 2, off by 3).

When I ran the find/replace for the block addresses I decided to use the find in column option and when I did a replace all, it found nothing. But if I did a replace without the replace all, still with the find in column option, it would find an address and replace it. I don't use the find in column option much since I usually just write a regular expression so I don't know if this behavior is new or old or even incorrect.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 29, 2014#2

Yes, there were lots of changes on Find/Replace feature since UE v17.30. The biggest one was in UE v19.00 as the entire Perl regular expression engine was updated and is now continously improved. The Quick Find feature and the tabbed Find/Replace windows are other changes resulting most likely in internal code changes with some negative effects on Find/Replace results.

But I can tell you that the IDM developers are currently working on fixing all those find/replace bugs. I the last 2 weeks I received several emails from IDM support asking me to download and install a UVB (non public user verfication build) of UltraEdit to verify fixes and confirm that the problem reported by me is indeed fixed.

You should update to currently latest version 21.10.0.1032 if that is possible for you in any case as in this build some find/replace bugs are fixed already in comparison to build 1029.

Then please report everything you see not working as expected to IDM support by email with a step by step instruction to reproduce the wrong behavior on provided input example.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria