Find and Replace dialogs not opening (fixed)

Find and Replace dialogs not opening (fixed)

NewbieNewbie

May 16, 2014#1

I have searched the forums and have not found this issue described. I cannot get the Find and Replace dialogs to open. I tried Ctrl + F, Alt + F3 and the menu items for Find, Quick Find and Replace and the context menu in the editor window. Other dialogs open. I set the keybindings to default. Version 21.10.0.1029 and Version 21.10.0.1027. OS is Windows XP SP3.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 17, 2014#2

Most likely the Find/Replace window is opened, but not in visible area of current screen(s). If the title of main window of UltraEdit changes the color from active to inactive on clicking on Search - Find, the Find window is opened, but outside currently visible area. Use command View - Views/Lists - Recover Floating Windows.

If using the recover command does not help, exit UltraEdit and delete the file %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\uedit32.in0. This file contains the workspace data - positions and dimensions of all windows. Do not delete any other file in this directory, especially NOT the file uedit32.ini containing your configuration settings.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

May 21, 2014#3

I've got the same issue. I uninstalled and reinstalled, and the issue still exists. I'm on Win7.

May 21, 2014#4

I sent support an email and they suggested doing the following which worked to fix the issue.

1. Close all instances of UltraEdit on your system.

2. Press Windows key + R, type %APPDATA%, then press Enter to open up your Application Data directory.

3. Navigate into the IDMComp directory.

4. Right-click on the "UltraEdit" directory, select "Rename", and rename it to "UltraEdit-Old".

5. Now start UltraEdit; it should open with all default settings, popups, etc.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 22, 2014#5

dragonwolf, do you have read my previous reply at all?

General information: Uninstalling and re-installing an application on any operating system does never fix issues causes by bad or corrupt user configuration. Installers of applications always uninstall and install only the program files and documentation of an application, and (nearly) never changes something on the user's configuration (files) for that application. Nobody wants to loose his configuration for an application just because of uninstalling an application's version (most an older one) and next install a different (or same) application's version (most a newer one).

Please follow the steps as written above. And please note that since UE v21.10 the find/replace windows are tabbed and can be a floating window, a docked window permanently visible and of course also an auto-hiding docked window. If the find/replace window is configured as auto-hiding docked window, the mouse pointer can be moved over the tab of the window on the side on which the window is docked to open the window.

What IDM suggested is more than really necessary. Instead of just deleting the workspace file, the entire user configuration was removed by renaming the directory and everything was created new. I'm not sure how many users like to lose the entire configuration (scripts list, tools configuration, customized themes, customized wordfiles...) just because the values of the position and/or size of one window stored in the workspace file are not right.

NewbieNewbie

May 22, 2014#6

Thank you for the responses. The issue still exists.

I have updated to Version 21.10.0.1032.

Title of main window of UltraEdit does not change the color from active to inactive on clicking on Search - Find.

I renamed the file %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\uedit32.in0. A new uedit32.in0 file was generated. The problem still exists.

I am using a multiple screen display with NVIDIA.

Does not open dialog - Quick Find, Find, Replace
              Does open dialog - Go To, Word Count, Character Properties.
              Does Find - Find Next, Find Prev

As you can see, some dialog windows appear and some do not not. Some Find functions work and those with dialog windows do not display.

I do not think it is the NVidia because some windows do display.

And I have minimized all non-UE windows and moved the UE window. :lol:

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 23, 2014#7

I describe now the complete management of the workspace settings.

Start UltraEdit or UEStudio and take a look at Advanced - Configuration - Application Layout - Advanced. There the full path and name of the currently used INI file is displayed. The default is %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\uedit32.ini respectively %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UEStudio\uestudio.ini. %APPDATA% references the value of the environment variable APPDATA defined by Windows for each user account. The name of the INI file is by default the name of the executable (uedit32.exe, uestudio.exe).

The workspace file with the information
                • which windows are currently open
                • in which mode and
                • with which size and
                • where displayed on screen
                is always in the same directory as the INI file containing the configuration settings and has the same name as the INI file.

The file extension is in0 whereby the 0 at end is a number for the instance of UltraEdit starting with 0 for first instance. When using multiple instances of UE/UES and additionally setting Store windows/menu/toolbars placements and configurations for multiple instances of application is checked at Advanced - Configuration - Application Layout - Advanced there can be also in1, in2, and so on. By default UE/UES is configured for a single instance as Allow multiple instances is not enabled at Advanced - Configuration - Application Layout - Miscellaneous.

The workspace file *.in0 contains lots of Dockbars and Toolbars group. For the tabbed Find/Replace window of UE v21.10 and UES v14.20 the group [Dockbars.002BasePane-33425] contains the information about the visibility of the window and the group [Dockbars.002Pane-33425] the other information like floating window or docked window, position and size for float window, position and size for docked window, on which side the docked window is docked, and if auto-hide is enabled for the docked window.

Deleting those two groups completely from *.in0 using Notepad while UE/UES is not running should result on opening of the Find/Replace window with default settings (dimensions, position).

The same effect can be achieved by deleting entire file *.in0 while UE/UES is not running with the difference that on next start the workspace file of the currently used layout is copied to uedit32.in0 respectively uestudio.in0 before the data from the workspace file are loaded.

The name of the current layout can be see at View - Layouts - Manage Layouts. All files of a layout are stored also in the directory of the currently used INI file. The name of the layout is the name of the files of the layout. The workspace file of the layout has the extension *.in1 whereby 1 is a fixed value and not an instance number.

So if after deletion of *.in0 in directory of the INI file while UE/UES is not running, and after next start of UE/UES and opening the Find/Replace window, the window is still not displayed, the workspace file of the currently used layout contains already data resulting in getting Find/Replace window not displayed within visible screen area. In this special case it is also necessary to delete the layout.in1 file of the current layout while UE/UES is not running additionally to uedit32.in0 respectively uestudio.in0.

Now start UE/UES, close it immediately, restart UE/UES and configure all windows including the Find/Replace window like you want it by default. The Find/Replace window should be now displayed as floating window centered on screen. All views and the toolbars can be made visible via View - Views/Lists.

When finished with configuration of the workspace, it would be good to update also the workspace file of the layout. This can be done with opening View - Layouts - Manage Layouts and using button Save current state as. Or an exit of UE/UE is made and the file uedit32.in0 respectively uestudio.in0 is copied to layout.in1.

PS: The window of a dockable/floating view is of complete different type as a window of a modal or modeless dialog. The Go To, Word Count, Character Properties windows are dialog windows, not windows of a view as there base class is different (CDialog versus CView).

NewbieNewbie

May 23, 2014#8

Yep, Mofi, I read your reply and tried what you suggested and it didn't resolve the issue. Besides the Find/Replace window issue, I also had a refresh issue which is why I uninstalled and reinstalled. My install also wasn't showing new features such as Layouts(I still had Environments). I didn't have any special configuration, so I didn't mind just renaming the whole folder and starting fresh. Others may have special configurations and renaming the folder would allow them to put those config files back as necessary and in doing so one at a time may find the file causing the issue. Your further details on the config file makeup should hopefully resolve the issue for those people as well.

NewbieNewbie

May 30, 2014#9

Thank you, Mofi.
                    Deleting groups [Dockbars.002BasePane-33425] and [Dockbars.002Pane-33425] worked just fine.

It is great to have UE up and running again. I bought the forever licsense over twenty years ago and am always happy with the continuing improvements to this fine product.

Once again, Thank you,
                    Bill

NewbieNewbie

Mar 17, 2020#10

Hi!
                      After reading some of the posts above, I believe my Find and Replace window is opening, but not visible on the screen. I have recently begun working from home. In the office, the dialog box opened. My monitor in the office is a large 36 inch screen; the one at home is much smaller. I can't find the menu item View - Views/Lists - Recover Floating Windows.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 18, 2020#11

The sixth menu View with third submenu Views/lists with last menu item Recover floating windows is still available in currently latest UltraEdit for Windows v26.20, but requires to switch from default Ribbon mode to Toolbar/menu mode with Traditional menus by right clicking on a ribbon tab and clicking in opened context menu on last item to open the submenu Toolbar/menu mode with second menu item Traditional menus.

However, the command is also available in ribbon mode. On ribbon tab Layout click in second group Views on last item Gather windows to move all open child windows to visible area of screen.

For completeness, the command Gather windows can be found on using Toolbar/menu mode with Contemporary menus in eight menu Layout at bottom of the menu.