UE v21.20: Find String List displays only found string on regular expression find (fixed)

UE v21.20: Find String List displays only found string on regular expression find (fixed)

NewbieNewbie

Jul 10, 2014#1

I noticed sometime in the last week or so that if I use regular expressions to search, the search output only lists the matching string, and not the entire matching line.

For example, if I search for "token=" as a string, the search output shows me all of the lines containing the string. If I search as a regular expression the search output unhelpfully shows me "token=" a bunch of times without the rest of the line for context. Now I find that I have to check/uncheck the regular expression box a lot more than I used to.

I much preferred the original behavior. Looking at the "Set Find Output Format" page in Configuration, and reading the associated help, I don't see any way to put it back. Is this an intentional change or a bug?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 11, 2014#2

Indeed, the output in Find String List window changed for a regular expression find with option List lines containing string in UltraEdit v21.20.0.1004 in comparison to previous version 21.10.0.1032. Now only the found string is output instead of the entire line containing the string.

I suppose that this change is intentionally, but I don't know it for sure. You should ask that IDM support by email.

It makes sense for a real regular expression search to list just the found string. But I agree that with a search for a simple word and having regular expression option enabled, the output of just showing the word is not really useful. The solution is to uncheck the regular expression option on searching for a simple word or use %*word*$ (UltraEdit engine) respectively ^.*word.*$ (Unix/Perl engine).

I suggest to send a feature request email to IDM support with an option under Advanced - Configuration - Search - Advanced which toggles output in Find String List window for a regular expression find between "only found string" and "entire line containing found string".

Advanced - Configuration - Search - Set Find Output Format is for output of Find in Files in output window or the results edit window, not for a Find with option List lines containing string enabled.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jul 11, 2014#3

To be clear, I do sometimes want to make a regular expression search, but still want to see the entire line in the search output. For example, I might want to inspect all of the lines matching

Code: Select all

Id="415-\d*"
        while just getting the list of IDs is not very helpful. And yes, I could just add to the regular expression every time

Code: Select all

^.*Id="415-\d*".*$
        but that's even more annoying than having to check/uncheck the checkbox when I'm doing normal string searches.

At your suggestion I've filed a help request, thanks!

Jul 15, 2014#4

It looks like the change was unintentional, and I now have a new build with the old behavior. Thanks IDM!

Update: This issue was fixed with UE v21.20.0.1009.