How to quickly display current active file's directory?

How to quickly display current active file's directory?

NewbieNewbie

Sep 12, 2014#1

I recently started using Ultraedit. In Editplus in the explorer window you can right-click and choose "file directory" to go the current active file's directory and see all the files in that directory. In Ultraedit I have to click the directory tree multiple times to locate the right directory and go to the current active file's directory. Is there a one click method to take me to the current active file's directory and display all files in that directory (I'm talking about ftp server's files here)? Thanks in advance.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 13, 2014#2

There is a two click method like in Editplus. Right click on a directory or file (not root of a drive) on tab Explorer in File View and left click on context menu item Make folder active file path. UltraEdit opens the folder of active file and selects this directory. I don't know if that works also with FTP folders.

2 more hints:

There is the setting Use active file directory for file open dialog default at Advanced - Configuration - File Handling - Load. With this configuration setting enabled, Ctrl+O respectively File - Open results in opening the dialog with directory of active file set.

And with Ctrl+Q respectively File - Quick Open 1 or more files (using wildcards) can be quickly opened in directory (tree) of active file (or another directory on first browsing to other directory).
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Sep 15, 2014#3

Hi Mofi, thanks your response. All your suggestions work only for the local drive but they don't work for my remote Unix server. Do you or anyone else have other suggestions?

Here is what I want. I should be able to open the directory of whatever remote file I'm current looking at in Ultraedit and be able to browse that directory and open any file in that directory.

Thanks!

Power UserPower User

Sep 17, 2014#4

When an account logs into a host from FTP, the host reads system files containing valid users, passwords, permissions, and starting locations. The user interacts with the FTP Server and not with the host computer directly. There is a limited command set available. When the user logs in, the account always starts in the host computer's specified starting location. The user can execute (usually via a FTP script that is loaded when the account logs in) a cd change directory command to change the working directory to the desired one.

It appears that when UE is used to load a file from a remote server the full path and the name of the FTP account used are saved internally for each remote file. Then when the file is saved UE writes and executes an internal script that accesses the FTP account credentials, logs in to the remote server, and then saves the file. And if you right-click on the tab of a remote file and select Copy File Path/Name and paste it to an empty file you will see something like this:

FTP::account name\/home/user|my_remote_file.txt

where the red text would actually contain your information. Note the use of the backslash \ and the vertical bar | to separate the account, path, and file name.

In the FTP Menu is the Browse option, which would seem to be what you would want, except that it doesn't log into the remote host until you click on the green arrow, and it still starts in the regular starting directory, not the directory of the active file.

It would seem like UE has most of what you need to get what you want. Guess you need to submit a feature request and hope they consider it.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 18, 2014#5

I agree with Mick. I suggest also to send an enhancement request email to IDM support for Explorer tab context menu command Make folder active file path working also for active files loaded via FTP if configuration setting Display FTP accounts in Explorer view is enabled, too.

BTW: I have sent already an enhancement request email to IDM support adding Make folder active file path also to context menu of a drive as there is no real reason why this command could not be executed with a drive being currently selected and have received a positive reply from IDM support.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Sep 22, 2014#6

Thanks so much folks. I'll also send an email to IDM. Hopefully it will help me switch from Editplus to Ultraedit.