NewbieNewbie

Sep 25, 2014#16

As an alternative suggestion, adding the tab settings to the Syntax Highlighting settings would better allow it to be changed. A related frustration I have is that changing the Syntax Highlighting on an open file doesn't change the tab settings.

There's a particular scenario I've encountered many times. As background, I have my default tab stop set to 8 but have defined a tab stop of 4, for files with extensions .c, .cpp, .h, and .hpp. So, the scenario is as follows:
    • Create a new file to jot down some code thoughts
    • Change from No [syntax] highlighting to the C/C++ [syntax] highlighting
    • Get frustrated that the tab settings are still the default of 8, rather than 4 that match my 'C' code
    Note that I don't want to change the tab defaults. Also, I know that the tabs are correctly displayed if I save the file, but I have no need to save (and later delete) the file for temporary thoughts.

I don't really understand why I'd want to specify the tab settings separately from the syntax highlighting settings. However, it's be fine to have global defaults that only get overridden if they're specified in the syntax highlighting wordfile.

In terms of the original query, switching between the tab settings would be as simple as selecting different syntax highlighting.

Read more posts (-14 remaining)