It always wraps lines!

It always wraps lines!

NewbieNewbie

Oct 28, 2004#1

I should be incredible... I keep trying to set UE v10 not to wrap lines. And I can't!!! I tried "toggle word-wrap" icon, every setting in Advanced/Configuration/Edit... and nothing. It brakes every line at column 80. What can I do? thx

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 28, 2004#2

Go again to the Edit Configuration dialog and make sure, that wrapping is really disabled for ALL files, not only for Default. Everything below the file extension drop down list can be set for individual file extensions. Check, if there are defined special wrap settings for specified files. Make sure that Default word wrap on for each file is not checked for any item in the file extension drop down list.

Also have a look at setting Maximum columns before line wraps in the General Configuration dialog at section Display or at Advanced - Configuration - Editor Display - Miscellaneous in newer versions of UE. Default value is 4096, maximum is 20000.

In the INI file, the following settings are responsible for wrapping (my personal settings listed here, not the defaults):

Code: Select all

[Settings]
      Max Columns=4096
      WordWrap=0
      Wrap Column1=106
      Wrap Column2=78
      Wrap Column3=76
      Wrap Column4=106
      Wrap Column5=106
      Wrap Column6=106
      Wrap Column7=106
      Wrap Column8=106
      Wrap Column9=106
      Wrap Column10=106
      Wrap Column11=106
      Wrap Type1=2
      Wrap Type2=2
      Wrap Type3=2
      Wrap Type4=2
      Wrap Type5=2
      Wrap Type6=2
      Wrap Type7=2
      Wrap Type8=2
      Wrap Type9=2
      Wrap Type10=2
      Wrap Type11=2
      But all of those settings can be modified in the configuration dialog. There is no need to edit the INI file directly.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Oct 29, 2004#3

It works!!! Thank you... I forgot to set that option in General section.
        Greetings from Hungary.

NewbieNewbie

May 09, 2005#4

I have tried all kinds of variations of the Configuration settings to get my file NOT to wrap but I can't figure it out.

I've read the help but it's still not working as expected.

Can someone please explain or refer me to documentation that explains HOW to keep lines from wrapping.

PS - I'm using version 10.20d+

Thanks.

David

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 10, 2005#5

Additionally to the settings I explained above look at Advanced - Configuration - Edit respectively Advanced - Configuration - Word Wrap/Tab Settings. There are many settings for word wrap.

Take into consideration, that the word wrap settings are individually stored for all file types defined in the drop down list above. For example I have set one set of word wrap settings for Default and another set for c h inc ('C' files).

Click the help button in this dialog to get help about word wrapping.

One more note: If wrap occurs on paste, uncheck setting Reformat paragraph after paste when wrap settings set to add hard returns at specific column number at Advanced - Configuration - Editor Display - Formatting.

NewbieNewbie

Nov 09, 2007#6

That I cannot expand my columns beyond 20000 characters is extremely upsetting. Firstly, Textpad does not have this limitation. Secondly, I routinely deal with text files that have columns exceeding 90,000 per line. Each line represents a document and it's contents. This is really somewhat of a crippling deficiency in this application.

NewbieNewbie

Feb 10, 2009#7

:(
                The line wrapping function of my UltraEdit 14.20 works incorrectly. When it reaches column 80, it cuts a word in half!
                Any idea about how this happens?

Extra information: I'm using Chinese edition, and in Chinese there is no white spaces between words thus line wrapping is simply by Chinese Character. But I swear the problem happens when I'm editing a file with ONLY English.

NewbieNewbie

Feb 13, 2009#8

This is obviously a bug. If I use CHINESE(PRC) for non-Unicode in my Regional/Language Setting, I got same problem. Word got cut off in the middle no matter that kind of wrap setting I choose. Change it to English(US) then everything is OK.

NewbieNewbie

Oct 10, 2014#9

I also have this problem: when enabled, word wrap cuts words in half.

word wrap problem.jpg (21.01KiB)

My Windows is not at all in Chinese.
                    Thanks.

UltraEdit Professional Text/HEX Editor
                    Version 21.10.0.1032
                    Windows 8.1 on Dell laptop, OS in English but laptop bought in France, the OS was originally in French, maybe it's a locale/regional settings problem.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 10, 2014#10

Do you have also read the second post here?

What is your setting for Maximum columns before line wraps?

Is word-wrap enabled as it can be seen in menu Edit on menu item Toggle Word-Wrap for active file?

Which word wrap mode is selected for active file at Advanced - Configuration - Word Wrap/Tab Settings if word-wrap is enabled?

What is configured at Advanced - Set Code Page/Locale?

What is set in Region and Language settings of Windows?

Which input language is currently selected for UltraEdit?

NewbieNewbie

Oct 11, 2014#11

Thanks for the answer.

I solved the problem, I think it’s a real bug in UE, and it’s easily reproducible : it happens when the encoding of the file and the display encoding do not match. An ANSI file displayed as UTF-8, or an UTF-8 file displayed as ANSI, will have incorrect word-wrap which cuts words in half.

Example: if you create an ANSI file (for example Save As “there is a problem there is a problem …” and choose ANSI in the Save As dialog) and then display it in UTF-8 (using the status bar below to choose) then the word-wrap will cut words in half. But if you then display this same file as ANSI, word wrap works correctly. Now if you Save As this same file as a UTF-8 document by choosing UTF-8 in the Save As dialog, then it works when displayed as UTF-8. But change the display encoding again to ANSI for this same file and word-wrap becomes incorrect.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 11, 2014#12

I cannot reproduce this word-wrap issue with the steps you described whether with UE v21.10.0.1032 nor with UE v21.30.0.1005 on Windows XP SP3 x86. There is most likely one more setting which has an effect on this word-wrap problem.

I must add that the description on help page Status Bar for the Encoding Type selector in status bar is not correct whether in UE v21.10.0.1032 nor in UE v21.30.0.1005.
                          UE help wrote:The Encoding Type control allows users to change the encoding used to display the active file. This does not actually affect the underlying content of the file. No conversion is done. This merely changes the encoding used to display the file in the editor.
                          A few weeks ago I sent to IDM support by email regarding this paragraph in help:
                          Mofi wrote:Well, nearly nothing written in this paragraph is really correct which results in a big confusion of the users. It was not the first time that I needed to explain what the code page setting for active file is really for.

The display of the active file is not changed by selecting for a single byte encoded text file a different code page. For example for a non Unicode file with characters in code page Windows-1252, selecting code page 1251 does not change anything on display of the characters with a code value greater 127.

The font currently selected respectively the "script" selected for the font controls the display of the text. A message informs the user about
                          the requirement to change font or script of font to get the text displayed correct (or at least as expected).

Which code page is currently selected in status bar or in dialog View - Set Code Page has no effect on display of the text.

This is one point confusing users. What is code page selection dialog respectively the encoding type control in status bar for if the display
                          of the text is not changed?

The statement "No conversion is done." is also not correct in case of selecting one of the 4 Unicode options of the encoding type control in status bar. In this case the file is converted always from current encoding to selected Unicode encoding. This is indicated by the file change indication symbol on file tab.

But most users are not aware of the fact that the file is converted with selecting one of the four Unicode encodings as no message informs
                          the user about this conversion.

For an HTML and XHTML it is necessary to change after this silent conversion also the character set declaration in header as well as the encoding declaration of an XML file in first line. Most XML, HTML and XHTML writers do not know that in my experience simply because not knowing what below really means in their files:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                          <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
                          <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" />
                          My suggestions:
                          1. The user should be asked with a message box prompt if the file should be really converted if a file currently encoded
                            • with one of the 4 Unicode encodings will be converted to a different Unicode encoding or to a single byte encoding, or
                            • with 1 byte per character will be converted to a Unicode file
                            after user selected a different encoding in status bar.

Example for the message prompt:

Should the file be converted from ... to ... ?

Yes     No
                            For advanced users it would be good to have an option to suppress this message prompt.
                          2. If a conversion is done for a file syntax highlighted by a wordfile containing HTML_LANG or XML_LANG with any of the conversion commands in menu File - Conversions or on selecting a code page or a Unicode encoding in status bar, it would be good if a message prompt informs the user about the requirement to change charset respectively encoding declaration in header of the file. Of course this message prompt should not be displayed on conversion done from within an UE macro/script. And it must be possible for advanced users to suppress this message prompt in future.

Example for the message:

Conversion to ... done.

The charset / encoding declaration in header of the file should
                            be updated to match the new encoding of the characters in file.

OK
                          3. The help text for Encoding Type on help page Status Bar should be improved and describe what this control is really for.

Example for help text:
                            UE help wrote:The Encoding Type control allows users to change the encoding used for the active file. This does not actually affect the underlying content of an ASCII/ANSI file (1 byte per character) as no conversion is done if just a different code page is selected for active file.

The code page is important for an ASCII/ANSI file for right conversion of text in clipboard on paste and for conversion to a Unicode encoding.

If this control is used and a new code page is selected that requires a different font and script for proper display a dialog will be displayed to prompt this change. A proper font and script can be set using Set Font and Set HEX/Column Mode Font in menu View.

If UTF-8, UTF-16LE (little endian), UTF-16BE (big endian) or ASCII Escaped Unicode is selected from submenu Unicode, the file will be converted to the selected new Unicode encoding independent on current encoding of the file. A conversion is also done if the active file is a Unicode encoded file and a code page is selected from one of the non Unicode submenus.

The character set (charset) or the encoding declaration in header of an HTML, XHTML or XML file should be adapted according to new code page or Unicode encoding.

For details about text encoding look on power tip Working with Unicode in UltraEdit/UEStudio.
                          I also reported an issue about not good listing of code pages in dialog opened with View - Set Code Page on Windows 8/7/Vista which does not exist on Windows 2000/XP.

And I wrote one more email with a suggestion to explain Set Code Page command with a new help page which explains even in more details as written above the relationship between font, script of font, code page and encoding and what each command is responsible for in even more details as written above. Those 3 emails were a result of Got 'Premature end of data in tag...' in XML Manager.

It is a fact that the big majority of users of text editors do not know what encoding / code page / character set really means. And it is widely unknown for many, many users what this encoding="..." string in first line of an XML file, or charset="..." in head section of an HTML4 / XHTML file, or charset=... in head section of an HTML5 file really means and what must be done when changing this string or the encoding of a file. This is the reason why IDM should explain Encoding Type selector in status bar (except basic status bar which I prefer for myself) and Set Code Page command better in help. It is simply necessary to add small teaching lessons here.