Order of file tabs after opening a project in UEX

Order of file tabs after opening a project in UEX

NewbieNewbie

Sep 06, 2014#1

Is there a way to control the order of the file tabs when opening a project? Is the order even predictable?
    --
    Hugh

When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 07, 2014#2

I'm using only UltraEdit for Windows and not UltraEdit for Linux. So what I have written below is not verified by me for UEX.

The order of the file tabs on opening a project is the same as on closing the project, except files have been deleted in the meantime or are not accessible at the moment (server not reachable), or the option Sort tabs on file open is enabled at the moment. This option can be toggled by opening Advanced - Configuration - Application Layout - File Tabs - Miscellaneous and toggle state of setting Sort tabs on file open.

The information about open files on close of a project, the caret position in each file, the order of the open files, the bookmarks and code foldings, etc. are stored in the *.pui (project user interface) file. So if nobody deletes this file between closing and next opening of a project, the user interface is recreated on project load exactly as leaved last time, except
      • configuration setting Open from Explorer also loads file list is enabled at Advanced - Configuration - File Handling - Advanced resulting in reloading the project which was open on last exit additionally to the file on which a double click was executed to open the file in UltraEdit, or
      • configuration setting Close all files when opening or switching projects is not enabled at Advanced - Configuration - File Handling - Miscellaneous resulting in keeping opened the currently open files on opening/switching project.
      The order of the files without having Sort tabs on file open enabled is the file open order. By left clicking on a file tab, holding left mouse button and dragging the file tab to a new position in the tabs bar where left mouse button is left, the file tabs order can be changed mannually.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Sep 08, 2014#3

Thanks for your help. After reading your reply, I suspect I should have specified that I use uex.
        Mofi wrote:The order of the file tabs on opening a project is the same as on closing the project, except files have been deleted in the meantime or are not accessible at the moment (server not reachable), or the option Sort tabs on file open is enabled at the moment. This option can be toggled by opening Advanced - Configuration - Application Layout - File Tabs - Miscellaneous and toggle state of setting Sort tabs on file open.
        In uex file tab order seems to be static and unaffected by changes I make manually, e.g. by dragging file tabs to new position. Right-clicking on file tabs does not offer a Sort File Tabs command; clicking on Edit ➜ Preferences offers an Application Layout section with a File Tabs tab that has only two options that seem to be unrelated:
        • Double-clicking file tab will close file
        • Move to nearest left tab after current tab is closed
        Mofi wrote:The information about open files on close of a project, the caret position in each file, the order of the open files, the bookmarks and code foldings, etc. are stored in the *.pui (project user interface) file. So if nobody deletes this file between closing and next opening of a project, the user interface is recreated on project load exactly as leaved last time, except
        • configuration setting Open from Explorer also loads file list is enabled at Advanced - Configuration - File Handling - Advanced resulting in reloading the project which was open on last exit additionally to the file on which a double click was executed to open the file in UltraEdit, or
        • configuration setting Close all files when opening or switching projects is not enabled at Advanced - Configuration - File Handling - Miscellaneous resulting in keeping opened the currently open files on opening/switching project.
        The order of the files without having Sort tabs on file open enabled is the file open order. By left clicking on a file tab, holding left mouse button and dragging the file tab to a new position in the tabs bar where left mouse button is left, the file tabs order can be changed manually.
        With uex .pui files are stored for each project, but apparently not changed to reflect changes in tab order. In fact manually re-ordering the lines in the <File Tab> section has no effect either. If that had worked, it would have been an adequate solution for my purposes.
        There are of course no options related to Explorer on uex. There is an option to Close all files when opening or switching projects, which I do have set. There are also the following four options (Edit ➜ Preferences, File Handling section, Load/Save tab), of which I currently have all but the 3rd enabled:
        • Reload files previously open on startup,
        • Reload previous open project on startup,
        • Use default directory from shortcut on initial file open, and
        • Use active file directory for file open dialog default.
        Although there's no Sort tabs on file open option, it's interesting that when I search Edit ➜ Preferences for "sort" one of the three results points to the Application Layout section, File Tabs tab, but there is nothing about "sort" there, only the two options mentioned above.
        --
        Hugh

When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 08, 2014#4

I'm not using UEX and therefore can't help here. There are obviously less options in UEX in comparison to UltraEdit for Windows.

Perhaps the only possibility to get the file tabs order you want is to close all files and then re-open the files in the order as you wan them listed on the file tabs bar.

Further, I suggest to contact IDM support by email and report that the manually re-arranged file tabs are not saved in *.pui file by UEX v4.2.0.11. See UltraEdit for Linux latest changes if not already using currently latest version of UEX.

Oct 13, 2014#5

There could be another explanation for the wrong order of the file tabs after opening a project.

UEX has internally already the setting Sort tabs on file open, but it is not made visible because this feature is not working completely. But it could be nevertheless already active if the value of this setting is already 1.

In UltraEdit for Windows there is SortTabsOnFileOpen=0 in section [Settings]. I suggest to first make a backup of the configuration file of UEX while UEX is not running, and then open this file in another editor. Next search for SortTabsOnFileOpen.

In case of being really found, set value to 0, especially if value is currently 1 or something different (like nothing).

In case of not being found, but there is a Settings section, add entry SortTabsOnFileOpen with value 0.

Save the file, exit the editor and start now UEX. Check if saving and reloading information about opened files on project close/open works now.

As I'm not using UEX, I do not even know where UEX stores the configuration (preferences) settings and how the file looks like. So everything written above is very speculative.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria