Editing Russian text using OEM code page 866

Editing Russian text using OEM code page 866

NewbieNewbie

Oct 15, 2014#1

Found no way to open correctly files in DOS 866: Cyrillic Russian when they created some were else.
    Is it possible?

Savings not correct as well. Instead 866 file saved in 1251 ANSI - Cyrillic (if anything visible).
    And copy paste of Russian Language characters not working with any font and encoding.
    Is there any way to save Russian characters in desired encoding?
    Is there any way copy/paste Russian characters from outsource?

Power UserPower User

Oct 16, 2014#2

Have you tried setting the code page to OEM 866? Have you got your settings (Auto Code page detection) correct in Configuration/File handling/ Code page detection?

Cheers...

Frank

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 16, 2014#3

If you have automatic code page detection not enabled or it does not detect that the text is using code page 866 (OEM - Russian), switch the code page via code page/encoding selector in status bar or using View - Set Code Page. Additionally you have to set under View - Set Font and View - Set HEX/Column Mode Font a font supporting code page 866 or you won't get the text displayed correct even after setting the code page correct.

Another method would be to right click on the file tab of the OEM file or open menu File and click in submenu Conversions on OEM to ANSI. Then you edit the file in ANSI and before save use command ANSI to OEM.

Or you use command Show font with OEM Character Set to toggle for all files to OEM editing. This command is by default not present (anymore) in any menu or toolbar. But with right clicking on a toolbar, left clicking on Customize Toolbar and adding this command to a toolbar, you can make use of it and see additionally easily if OEM editing is currently enabled or not for active file.

The third method is the one I use for editing batch files (and some other old file types) automatically with OEM code page 850 while all other files are edited in ANSI or Unicode. Read different font depending on file extension for details on how to configure UltraEdit to edit files depending on their file extensions in OEM. Adding the OEM Character Set Command to toolbar is nevertheless a good idea on using this method as it indicates the OEM editing mode for active file in case of having ANSI and OEM files opened at the same time which is typical when I'm editing batch files.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Oct 16, 2014#4

1. Don’t find any good combination to set up 866 encoding with any font. Non from my 866 fonts working.
            Still problem with characters «Н» «Р» «О» «Э» «П» both upper and lower case.
            Correct editing not possible as well.
            Can you point on good source where I can get Russian OEM 866 which is working with UltraEdit?
            ---------------------------
            Have bunch of the files originally prepared in MultiEdit 5.0 with keyrus driver.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KeyRus
          2. Conversion not give any good result as well.
          3. Show font with OEM Character Set is very nice command to see root of the font, but not helpful in my case. It’s not show anything correctly.
          4. Able to get correct result from EditPadPro, but this soft have their own inconveniences. Researching if its possible work correctly with UltraEdit.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 16, 2014#5

Well, a quick solution was already described at DOS codepage 866 problem (Russian OEM).

After opening the file and setting code page 866, the file is converted to Unicode. There is now no display problem with using font Courier New. Once finished editing, the conversion back to ASCII (code page 866) is made and file is saved. Since UE v19.00 all 3 steps (set code page 866 after load, convert to Unicode, convert back to code page 866) can be done with the encoding selector in status bar of UltraEdit. I do not have a better idea at the moment as I have never worked with Russian text files nor can I read Russian text.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Oct 16, 2014#6

Thank you for your advice. Will try to make it work. Unfortunately so far all attempt not successful. There is different behavior with old files and files just created, problems with copy/paste and fonts including Courier New. Will post my comments after tests.

Oct 16, 2014#7

Have some progress using DOS terminal fonts.
                Able to open and see file in correct way.
                But still not able to edit.
                Cut/paste only within open file.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Font Examples:
                http://plugring.farmanager.com/plugin.php?pid=374&l=en