How to view/edit 2 files vertically in a single UE session?

How to view/edit 2 files vertically in a single UE session?

Basic UserBasic User

Oct 30, 2014#1

I'd like to view/edit 2 files simultaneously in the same UE session and position the files vertically side-by-side. I found a topic that discussed vertical "split" but only by opening two UE sessions.

TIA,
    Phil

Power UserPower User

Oct 30, 2014#2

Click and hold on one of the open file tabs. Then drag that down into the editing pane and across towards the other open file, and then release the mouse button.

See this power tip Drag-N-Drop Split Pane Editing... Vertical/Horizontal Split Window for the details.

See also How to configure the appearance of the open file tabs bar in UE v15.00 and later?

Cheers...

Frank

Basic UserBasic User

Oct 31, 2014#3

That does the job, Frank.

Thanks,
        Phil

Basic UserBasic User

Nov 01, 2014#4

If you use this regularly, you can assign the menu item Window - Tile Vertical with tooltip Tile Windows Vertically, etc. to buttons, so they are always there. I have that on my toolbar along with a button for menu item Window - Synchronized Scrolling with tooltip Vertical Synchronized Scrolling. Of course you can put just about any function on the toolbar with UE, it's very configurable.

Basic UserBasic User

How to assign the command 'Tile Windows Vertically' to a button?

Dec 15, 2017#5

I posted this question 3 years ago asking how to edit two files side-by-side in UE. The response I got was helpful - it works.

Can someone explain how to assign Tile Windows Vertically to a button?

TIA, Phil.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 15, 2017#6

Phil, if you are still using UltraEdit for Windows v21.20 which was the latest version October 2014 and you have enabled Window - Enable tiling / Dockable tabs, the command Arrange windows vertically as non-overlapping tiles is already in MAIN toolbar, see the attached image. Toolbars can be modified in UE v21.20 by right clicking on any toolbar to open the context menu and left clicking on context menu item Customize Toolbar ....

This command can be also executed by key. Open Advanced - Configuration - Key Mapping, search in Commands list for WindowTileVertically (unsorted commands are listed in order as in main menu) and assign the hotkey you can easily remember like Alt+Shift+V to this command.

But arranging document windows side-by-side is only possible with pointing device using drag & drop on using not dockable file tabs. There are no commands in this file tabs / document window mode for arranging document windows.
              tile_vertical.png (67.13KiB)
              Command to tile windows vertically in MAIN toolbar of UltraEdit for Windows v21.20.
              Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 15, 2017#7

I'm using UltraEdit Professional Text/HEX Editor Version 18.20.0.1028.
                I found the dialog using Advanced > Configuration and assigned ALT+SHIFT+V to the tile command and it works.

Thanks for your help. Phil.