Automatic save option creates a backup every time

Automatic save option creates a backup every time

Mar 04, 2015#1

Automatic save will create a backup every time even if the file is not changed.

Is this expected behavior ?

Etienne.

Power UserPower User

Mar 04, 2015#2

You need to set your backup option for automatic saves to reflect the behavior you want.

On the Advanced Menu -> Configuration -> File Handling -> Backup

backupmenu.png (22.73KiB)

Make sure the box On automatic save in the Version backup section is not checked.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 06, 2015#3

It is not detailed enough documented on help page about backup configuration if version backup feature on automatic save creates a version backup also for files not changed since last backup. So if this behavior is by design or a bug can be answered only by IDM support respectively a developer of UltraEdit. Therefore I suggest to send an email to IDM support with that question and post here the answer if you really want to know that. See top of this page with email us directly being a mailto link.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Mar 06, 2015#4

Thanks for you replies. I will report this to support.

Thanks,
          Etienne.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 07, 2015#5

I found 2 minor mistakes on English help page about backup configuration (case of a letter, an opening parenthesis without a closing one) and reported both by email to IDM support. I asked additionally:

Does version backup on automatic save create backups also for not modified files?

The received answer on this question:
            IDM support wrote:There isn't currently any support for verifying whether or not changes have been made since the last automatic save. If this is specified to occur at a given interval, it will occur whether there have been changes made or not. I have added an enhancement request to our issue tracking system to add support to determine if a change has been made to the file since the last automatic save.
            (And the two small mistakes on English backup configuration help page are fixed in help of UE v22.00.)
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria