Delete selected text with Del key in UE 15.20.0.1026 (solved, faulty device)

Delete selected text with Del key in UE 15.20.0.1026 (solved, faulty device)

NewbieNewbie

Feb 03, 2015#1

Hello!

I've been using an ancient version of UE for ages on my XP laptop. Now I'm visiting my relatives and they have UE 15.20.0.1026 (newer than mine, not really sure which version mine is as I cleverly left my laptop at home). Anyways, this newer version doesn't allow me to delete selected text with Del key. I select text with mouse/keyboard, hit Del, selection stays in place and nothing happens. If I hit Del again, the text deselects and the character following the cursor gets deleted.

I know it probably sounds stupid but it drives me nuts 'cause my fingers are so used to do it THAT way :)

I tried to search online, went through UE prefs but just can't seem to figure this out? Would appreciate if someone nudged me in the right direction. Thanks!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 04, 2015#2

That is a very strange issue. It looks like key Del is configured as first key of a multi-key assignment (chord) for an internal command, macro or script although this is not really possible.

I suggest to open Scripting - Script List and check the columns Hotkey and Chord.

Open Macro - Delete Macro/Modify Properties and check the Hotkey and Chord setting for each macro stored in a macro file being configured for loading on startup of UltraEdit.

Last open Advanced - Configuration - Key Mapping. There is the button Show key mapping in editor, close the configuration dialog with Cancel and search for DEL in the created text file.

In case of an existing custom key mapping for the internal commands, Advanced - Backup/Restore User Customizations can be used to first backup Keyboard Shortcuts in group Others. Or you copy %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\Uedit32.uek. Then open Advanced - Configuration - Key Mapping and click on button Defaults, or delete/rename file Uedit32.uek in %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\ while no instance of UltraEdit is running.

Check if anything written here helps on this problem.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Feb 05, 2015#3

Dear Mofi,

Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately, none of them helped :cry:
        Mofi wrote:open Scripting - Script List and check the columns Hotkey and Chord.
        Nothing's there, the list is blank.

Mofi wrote:Macro - Delete Macro/Modify Properties...
        I have those greyed out, I guess nothing's there as well.

Mofi wrote:Last open Advanced - Configuration - Key Mapping ... and search for DEL in the created text file.
        These are the only lines with DEL (and there is no Uedit32.uek in %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\):

Ctrl+DEL -> EditDeleteNextWord -> Delete Next Word
        Shift+DEL -> EditCut -> Cut the selection and put it on the Clipboard

-=-=-=-=-

I also noticed that Edit->Delete->Delete command behaves the exact same way as DEL key, i.e. nothing happens when I first click on it, and on the next click the text deselects and the character following the cursor gets deleted.

Also, the keyboard is standard Microsoft HID keyboard without any additional software and the DEL key behaves as expected anywhere else: Notepad, MS Word, Browser address bar, windows Run box, etc.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 05, 2015#4

Hm, I have archived build 1022 and build 1027 of UE v15.20, but not build 1026. So it could be that UE v15.20.0.1026 has a bug which was quickly detected by IDM Computer Solutions, fixed and build 1027 was released a few hours later.

What is the file date of uedit32.exe of version 15.20.0.1026 ?

File uedit32.exe of version 15.20.0.1027 has the file date 26.01.2010 15:20:00.

If file date of build 1026 is 25.01.2010 15:20:00, then you use indeed a version of UltraEdit with a serious bug which was quickly withdrawn and replaced by build 1027.

I suggest to contact IDM support by email and ask for UE v15.20.0.1027 installer for language X. Available for download is always only the latest version. But licensed users can get always by email the installer for latest version of UltraEdit the license permits as it can be read on FAQs page.

NewbieNewbie

Feb 06, 2015#5

It is indeed dated 25-Jan-2010 02:20 PM. I will contact IDM to get the proper build.

Thank you very much for you help!! 8)

Feb 06, 2015#6

Okaaay.. So I'd tried a bunch of different builds to no avail, the situation hasn't changed.

The last thing I did today was installing a fresh copy of Win7 in WMWare and there the DEL key works in UE! However the WMWare emulates the keyboard as Standard PS/2 Keyboard, while the parent OS sees it as HID Keyboard Device.

I think it's safe to assume the problem is in USB keyboard connection? Or maybe this particular brand (Das Keyboard)? Which is still weird since as I have mentioned the DEL key works fine elsewhere. The keyboard did come with USB-to-PS/2 adapter but haha the motherboard doesn't have a PS/2 port!

Anyways, I will get back home next week and will test my theory on my home pc.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 07, 2015#7

One more you can try.

While no instance of UltraEdit is running, rename the settings file uedit32.ini and also the workspace file uedit32.in0 in directory %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit to something different like uedit32_bak.ini and uedit32_bak.in0. Then start UltraEdit which creates both files completely new.

Check now if key Del works as expected for a selection.

If this is the case use the new configuration and reconfigure UltraEdit to your needs. It would be interesting in this case what are the differences between uedit32_bak.ini and new uedit32.ini. But a compare can be done only after sorting uedit32_bak.ini and a copy of new uedit32.ini made while UltraEdit was not running using either macro Sort UE/UES INI or script RegIniFileSort.

It might also worth a try to open device manager of Windows and delete HID Keyboard Device. Then restart Windows and let it detect the keyboard during Windows boot once again.

NewbieNewbie

Mar 23, 2015#8

Turns out the CronusMAX PLUS video game controller was at fault. Once removed, the DEL key started working as expected. Thank for your time and kind assistance, Mofi!