Cursor jumps about as UE opens (solved)

Cursor jumps about as UE opens (solved)

NewbieNewbie

Apr 14, 2015#1

Has anyone else noticed this (or is it just me)?

When I open UE (22.0.0.55 and the last few minor updates) the cursor jumps around as the program is loading. It doesn't hurt anything and the movement stops as soon as the program finishes loading. Still, it seems strange. It happens whether I am opening a file to edit or just opening UE to create a new file.

Thanks for any insight y'all may have.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 15, 2015#2

Latest version of UltraEdit is currently 22.0.0.58.

I don't see any jumps of cursor (mouse pointer) or caret (text marker) while UltraEdit starts with or without a file loading or while loading a file. The mouse pointer changes while loading to an hour glass symbol and reverts back to previous symbol when finished which depends on position of cursor (document area, toolbar, main menu or a view).

I suppose this behavior is caused by a different application. I suggest to run Windows standard tool msconfig.exe via Windows Run, switch to tab Startup and uncheck all entries listed to disable all applications starting on Windows start. Then restart Windows.

Test now after Windows restart if you see this cursor jump behavior again on starting UltraEdit and loading a file.

If this still happens, then most likely UltraEdit is responsible for the cursor jump and we need to investigate it further.

Otherwise another process was responsible for the cursor jumps. Run msconfig.exe again and check the first entry in list of started applications to enable start of this application and restart Windows. Alternatively you can simply start this application. Test again file loading in UltraEdit. Still no cursor jumps, okay, this application/process was not responsible for the cursor jump. Check next application and restart Windows respectively start the application directly and redo the UltraEdit file loading test. And so on until all automatically started application on Windows start are running again or you found out with this method which application is responsible for the cursor jumps.

By the way: In my experience most of the applications automatically started are never or only rarely used by the user. Most users even don't know what the applications automatically started on Windows start really do. Most of those applications have anywhere a configuration setting or option which can be unchecked to avoid the automatic start of the application on Windows or system start. After having checked the application again in msconfig, it is advisable to look in GUI of the application for this option and uncheck it, except the application is really used frequently and should be therefore automatically started with Windows. A WWW search engine helps if you can't even find out what an automatically started EXE is for at all.

A more powerful tool than msconfig is free tool Autoruns from Sysinternals (Microsoft).

Let us know if cursor jump reason was caused by another application or by UltraEdit. In case of UE is responsible for the cursor jumps, I will post more information to hopefully found out under which conditions this happens.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

MasterMaster

Apr 15, 2015#3

2Mofi

I have tried your suggestion about msconfig, but cursor still jumping around screen....
        It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 16, 2015#4

As I could not reproduce this cursor behavior on file load on my Windows 7 x64 and XP x86 machines with UE v22.0.0.58 whether with my UltraEdit configuration nor with standard UltraEdit configuration, we have to find out the environment responsible for the cursor jumps.
          1. How is the file opened?
            By double clicking on a file in Windows Explorer which results in starting UltraEdit as no instance is already running and opening the file.
            By double clicking on a file in Windows Explorer with an instance of UltraEdit is already running and therefore the name of the file to open is passed from new started instance to already running instance of UE before new instance terminates itself.
            By using Windows Explorer context menu option (shell integration) for opening the file in UltraEdit.
            By using drag and drop from Windows Explorer to UltraEdit window.
            By using File - Open in UltraEdit.
            By using File - Quick Open in UltraEdit.
            By using Explorer tab of File View in UltraEdit.
            By using any other method.
            Or does the method used to open the file not matter?
          2. What is the encoding of the opened file?
            ANSI, UTF-8, UTF-16, ... encoding is displayed in status bar.
          3. Which line ending type has the file?
            DOS, UNIX, MAC ... indicated in status bar.
          4. What is the size of the file?
            File size is displayed also in status bar. A few KB, a few MB, hundreds of MB, some GB, ...
          5. What type of file is opened?
            A *.html, *.xml, *.txt, ... file.
          6. Which UltraEdit theme is used?
          7. Which Windows desktop style is used (Windows Classic, Windows XP, Aero)?
          8. Is there a macro configured to be executed on ever file open?
            See Macro - Set Macro for File Load/Save.
          9. Which views of UltraEdit are currently open on file load?
            File View, Document Map, Output Window, ...
          10. Is the opened file a local file, a network file or a FTP file?
            It is a local file according to first post by sebair.
          11. Is UltraEdit running on a virtual machine or on a remote machine?
          12. What are the Windows mouse pointer options?
            Pointer speed, snap to default button, pointer trails, hide pointer while typing, ...
          13. Which version of GdiPlus.dll is used by UltraEdit?
            This can be found out by using free tool Process Explorer of Sysinternals (Microsoft), selecting in Process Explorer the running UltraEdit process, enable View - Show Lower Pane and select View - Lower Pane View - DLLs in Process Explorer and look for GdiPlus.dll and it's version.
          14. Is UltraEdit running "As Administrator"?
          15. What syntax highlighting features are enabled which require parsing entire file?
            Code folding, function list, ...

MasterMaster

Apr 16, 2015#5

Mofi wrote:12. What are the Windows mouse pointer options?
            Pointer speed, snap to default button, pointer trails, hide pointer while typing, ..
            Bingo!!! I have unchecked "snap to default button" property and problem is gone. Thanks for idea!!!
            It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 16, 2015#6

Yes, indeed, with Automatically move pointer to the default button in a dialog box enabled in group Snap to on tab Pointer Options of Windows Control Panel - Mouse, the mouse pointer is jumping around on startup of UltraEdit. I can reproduce this as well with having this option enabled.

It looks like UltraEdit opens very shortly some dialog windows on startup. I will report this issue to IDM support as this should be avoided. UltraEdit should first check if it is necessary to open a dialog window at all instead of opening it and then detecting inside dialog class that it does not need to be displayed and closes itself. That would reduce also startup time of UltraEdit.

Thanks goes to Ovg for playing around to find out the reason for this display issue.