Windows 8.1 .txt file association

Windows 8.1 .txt file association

NewbieNewbie

Apr 20, 2015#1

I'm using UE 21.30 on Windows 8.1 and I can't seem to make UltraEdit the one-and-only program to open .txt files.

Every single time I double click on a .txt file, Windows asks "How do you want to open this type of file (.txt)?", and lists Notepad, UltraEdit, and WordPad.

I've gone into Windows "Default Programs". UltraEdit is not listed in the Default Programs list (and neither is Notepad).

Under "Associate a file type", if I select ".txt", the "Current Default" value says "Not selected". Even if I click "Change program" and select UltraEdit, it doesn't save the change no matter how many times I try.

I've also tried right clicking on a .txt file, selecting Open With -> Choose program default, but that doesn't work either.

I've also tried adding .txt as an entry in the UE Configuration -> File Associations window, but after I close and re-open, the TXT association is gone.

It's like Windows 8 isn't saving the default for .txt files.

I've found a few posts about this, but the registry keys and other details don't seem to fit with my situation.

Is there a solution for this?

Apr 20, 2015#2

Update...

Shortly after posting, I thought I would try running UE using Run As Administrator. That seems to be the key.

Previously, the UE File Associations window was blank, it had no entries. When I launched using Run As Admin, I saw several entries. I re-entered .txt, even though it was listed, and saved.

I then closed UE.

I then right clicked on a text file and at the top of the pop up menu, I had an option to choose default program. I selected that, it popped up the same three options of Notepad, UE, and WordPad. After I selected UE, my desktop icons refreshed and the generic text file icon turned into a UE icon.

So in my case, the issue seemed to be a Windows permission issue or UAC issue. Using Run As Administrator seemed to resolve it.

(BTW, my user account is a member of the local Administrators group, but I've found many situations where that doesn't matter and Run As Admin is required)