Line numbers force temp file on scroll?

Line numbers force temp file on scroll?

Jul 30, 2015#1

I've been using UltraEdit to work with large files on remote servers (typically >5GB). I disable temporary files to avoid loading the full file each time (File Handling > Temporary Files > Open file without temp file but NO Prompt...). I work in Notepad Replacement since I don't need anything other than view/search/replace.

I also like having line numbers so I can see where I am.

I used to have UltraEdit 18, and everything worked great. A couple of weeks ago my admin force installed v22, and I noticed having Line Numbers enabled would force load the entire file if I tried to scroll after opening the file. Since the update I had to disable line numbers to keep UltraEdit usable (Editor Display > Miscellaneous > Disable line numbers).

I'm on Windows 7 and didn't have this problem with UE 18. The only other modification I make to UltraEdit is disabling the Backup (File Handling > Backup > No backup).

Needless to say, I find this bug extremely frustrating. Is there any way to have UltraEdit 22 work with Line Numbers and NO Temp Files?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 31, 2015#2

I looked on difference in large file management with Process Monitor of Sysinternals with UltraEdit v18.20 and v22.10.

UE v18.20 parsed a large file opened without temporary file with line number indication feature enabled while scrolling. So with scrolling a large file page by page the user does not see a noticeable delay. But the delay can be seen with scrolling for example to middle of file using vertical scroll bar because then UltraEdit parsed half of the file to determine all lines to new position in file.

Large file management changed with UE v20.00.

A large file is opened without a temporary file quickly. But if line numbers indication feature is enabled and the user scrolls down the file the first time, UltraEdit parses the entire file now for line terminators. This is indicated on left side of the status bar at bottom of UltraEdit main window. Once this is done, changing position within the large file with keyboard commands or using vertical scroll bar is done then quickly has no need to parse once more for line terminators. UltraEdit has stored now within memory how many lines exist from top of file to various offsets within file. So a jump to a new offset in file can be done now without the need to parse the entire file from top to new position in file. Therefore the new management of line numbers on large files causes a delay on first scroll indicated in status bar, but makes further scrolls within file much faster.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria