How to dock two lists?

How to dock two lists?

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 05, 2015#1

In UE v14 it was easy to dock 2 lists (say, Macro List and Function List) one above the other and re-size them via the splitter element in-between.
    Now in UE v22 the lists do not dock automatically. If you select dock, the list re-sizes to full height and you cannot then dock another list above or below it? Surely there must be a way.

Also, the document map feature is of no use to me. How to configure scroll bar only?

Aug 05, 2015#2

Well, when I originally tried to dock two lists, they would only dock side-by-side. However:

1) Dock one of the lists.
      2) Drag the next list on top of the 1st, then select dock.

The result is a tabbed interface, so only one list is on display at a time, but I think that is an enhancement when the lists are longish. Not so great if the lists are short enough to not need the full IDE height, but certainly acceptable.

The document map can be closed via the right-click menu, so happy days :wink:

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 06, 2015#3

From docked side by side to tabbed docked on examples Function List (left) and Macro List (right):
        1. Left click on title bar of Function List view and hold mouse button.
        2. Drag the window over the Macro List window by moving mouse pointer with hold left mouse button over title bar of Macro List.
        3. Leave left mouse button when dotted rectangle is around whole Macro List view.
        views_tabbed.png (7.8KiB)
        From docked side by side to tabbed docked views.

From docked side by side to split docked on examples Function List (left) and Macro List (right):
        1. Left click on title bar of Function List view and hold mouse button.
        2. Drag the window over the Macro List window by moving mouse pointer with hold left mouse button below title bar of Macro List.
        3. Leave left mouse button when dotted rectangle is around half of Macro List view.
        views_split.png (5.68KiB)
        From docked side by side to split docked views.

Document Map visibility can be toggled via View - Views/Lists - Document Map or the key assigned to this command in key mapping configuration dialog.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 08, 2015#4

Thanks for the detailed description Mofi. It's good that it can be done, but it is a ridiculously obtuse method for an application in it's 22nd release!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 08, 2015#5

The positioning of views using drag and drop with showing a dotted box for new position is a native feature of Microsoft's GDI+ used by UltraEdit since v15.00. All Windows applications based on GDI+ support positioning views the same way. And of course Microsoft's GDI used by UE < v15.00 and many other Windows applications supports also positioning of views by drag and drop. To be honest, I have never seen a different method for positioning views, even on Linux machines where of course a different library is used by the Linux applications.

If you know better methods from an application, I suggest to write a feature request email to IDM support explaining in detail how the positioning of views works in this application and why this method is better.

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 08, 2015#6

.... we can see that IDM is not held-back by using GDI+, there are a raft of non MS features in the IDE. I would like to see an addition to the right click menu - auto stack lists.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 08, 2015#7

So you mean an Auto Stack Lists item in context menu of title bar of a view which positions all views docked on same side currently completely visible (or also the auto-hidden ones) into one split view with width of widest view. And perhaps one more context menu item Auto Tab Lists for putting all views docked on same side into a single tabbed view. Good idea! Send an appropriate enhancement request email to IDM support.