Usage of all 2 (or 4) output windows from within script

Usage of all 2 (or 4) output windows from within script

May 02, 2014#1

Windows 7, 32-bit UltraEdit Professional Text/HEX Editor Version 18.20.0.1021

My output window shows two tabs at the bottom of the UltraEdit window with the digits 1 and 2 in them. Is there anyway a script can select which tab to write to? I was hoping to put the script status in one tab and the frInFiles results when UltraEdit.frInFiles.useOutputWindowindow = true; in the other tab.
    Greetings from Chicago!

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 03, 2014#2

Unfortunately it is not possible to
      1. get index of active output window tab,
      2. or switch active output window,
      3. or write directly to one of the output windows by index.
      UEStudio has even 4 output window tabs.

I have sent a feature request email to IDM support already years ago for such an enhancement in accessing the output window from within a script. But it looks like there were not many users requesting the same as all of above is still not available in UE v21.10.0.1027.

So I can suggest only to use

Code: Select all

UltraEdit.outputWindow.showStatus=false;
      UltraEdit.outputWindow.clear();
      at top of your script once the script works fine. This disables writing any status information and also messages about errors detected during script execution to output window.

Further it is possible to use UltraEdit.outputWindow.copy(); to copy current contents of active output window to active clipboard which can be accessed with UltraEdit.clipboardContent to hold the text in a string variable or an array of strings. So it is possible to get finally after script finished a completely customized output in output window containing lines from script itself, from a Find in Files and/or a user/project tool execution.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

May 05, 2014#3

Thank you. I was thinking of separating the two while debugging the script. Once it is debugged, I'll turn off status. My script already uses UltraEdit.outputWIndow.copy() to get the results of the find-in-files. I was looking for an easier way of removing the script status from the copied text while debugging.
        Greetings from Chicago!

NewbieNewbie

Aug 11, 2015#4

Mofi wrote:Unfortunately it is not possible to
          I have sent a feature request email to IDM support already years ago for such an enhancement in accessing the output window from within a script. But it looks like there were not many users requesting the same as all of above is still not available in UE v21.10.0.1027.
          To bring an old thread back to life and add many plus 1's to the request for this feature.

I have a script that is making many changes to many files. Most of the changes can be addressed with a regular expression but some are complex enough that, though easy to find, require human interpretation and intervention.

Being able to push the output of the regular expression changes to one window for logging and the output of the "finds" to the other window where I can easily click on the lines of interest and then change them would be a great help.

As it is I need to write "markers" into the output windows before and after the find statements then locate ... with out the help of a Search facility in the output window ... the markers then click on the lines of interest bring them up in a window and make the changes.

I've submitted a feature request but thought I'd bring it up here in an effort to build support.