How is width of the line numbers display determined by UE?

How is width of the line numbers display determined by UE?

NewbieNewbie

Sep 23, 2015#1

I have two text files with the same number of lines, but the length of line differs. The width of "Line Numbers" column differs by about one character, as shown in the attachment. I want to know how the width of Line Numbers column is determined by UltraEdit. Is there a way to fit the width exactly as the line numbers that are currently shown (i.e. no leading space)? Otherwise, it is frustrating for me to use UltraEdit to compare the content of two text files by switching between the tabs.

Thanks!

Cheers,
    Tian
    line_number_problem.jpg (127.92KiB)

Power UserPower User

Sep 23, 2015#2

The width of the line numbers field is based on the longest line number in the file. So if one file has 99 lines, one file has 999 lines and one file has 9999 lines they will all have different widths for the line number field even if the currently displayed area is as in your example single digits.

Since it appears you are comparing some columns in one file to columns in a different file, I would:
      • use column mode, copy the desired area to a new file tab (and do this for both files if both files have extra columns you don't want to compare)
      • save the new file with a temporary name (UltraCompare needs a named file to compare with)
      • use UltraCompare Lite which comes with UltraEdit to compare the two files.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 23, 2015#3

Alternatively you could click on Display Line Numbers in menu View to toggle off this display and look on status bar at bottom of UltraEdit main window where the line number of caret in active file is always displayed as long as nothing is selected. But making the comparison with UC or UCL as suggested by Mick is most likely more efficient than a visual comparison with your eyes.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria