Default Directory

Default Directory

Mar 30, 2005#1

One minor annoyance when using UltraCompare is that the default directory for opening files is C:\Documents and Settings\username. This is never the directory that I want to use for comparing files and there is no way to change it. So, every time I want to compare a pair of files I'm forced to navigate to the actual directories I want to use for both the left and right files. It would be nice if there was an option to set the default directories. It would also be nice if it remembered the last used directories.

One more thing--UltraCompare doesn't handle shortcuts correctly either. I tried to work around the problem by creating a shortcut in my Documents and Settings\username directory to the actual directory I want to use. Normally, in a File Open dialog, double-clicking on a shortcut takes you to that directory. But not in UltraCompare. It opens the .lnk file instead.

David Salahi

NewbieNewbie

May 27, 2005#2

FWIW, I'd like to add my vote to David's regarding the use of the 'Documents' folder as a default location selected when the file/directory selection browser is activated. I would suggest that UC be modified such that it 'remembers' which path was last selected in the file/directory selection browser, and uses this location as the default when the browser is activated again.

Ideally, there would be some configuration item (or perhaps a command-line switch) that would let one specify a default directory to be selected by default when the browser is activated. Or, perhaps, UC could simply use the 'current directory' (e.g. 'Start in' directory specified on the property page for a link; the directory that is active when UC is started) as the default.

NewbieNewbie

Jun 30, 2005#3

I got around this issue by adding a path to Start In: in the properties of the Shortcut.

Hope this helps.