File Open Dialog Grouping By Alpha Range

File Open Dialog Grouping By Alpha Range

Basic UserBasic User

Oct 29, 2015#1

I have an old server running v16.30.0.1003 of UE. Somehow, its now showing a grouping by alpha groups on the File -> Open dialog. I don't remember changing anything recently and this just started happening in the past couple days.

Notice in the attached screenshot how the first group of files is under "A-H". Farther down (not shown) is "I-P", then "Q-Z". Any idea what happened here, and more importantly, how to get rid of that?

Also, the "Format" field on the Open dialog keeps defaulting to "1252 (ANSI - Latin I)". Never noticed that before, but don't think that's what it should be. I keep changing it to "auto detection", but that doesn't look right.

Thanks
    UEGrouping.jpg (79.97KiB)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 30, 2015#2

First, 1252 (ANSI - Latin I) having preselected for Format is the standard depending on Windows region and language settings (country in North America or Western Europe). This option is for single byte encoded text files, i.e. ASCII/ANSI/OEM encoded text files. There is (in UE v22.20 for Windows XP) also ansi code page auto detection, but that is never the default. There is the setting Auto code page detection at Advanced - Configuration - File Handling - Code Page Detection to configure automatic detection of code page of single byte per character encoded text files which just a minority of UE users ever need (editors of XML, HTML, XHTML files with various code pages declared at top of the file).

Important is often that Open As is set to Auto Detect ASCII/Unicode to enable auto detection of Unicode encoded text files. Which Unicode detections are enabled can be configured at Advanced - Configuration - File Handling - Unicode/UTF-8 Detection. Disabling Unicode auto detections never needed like Detect ASCII/ANSI files with escaped Unicode speeds up opening files a little.

Second, the UltraEdit Open and Save As dialogs are derived from Windows standard Open and Save As dialogs (common dialogs) which are special Windows Explorer windows. So all settings for Windows Explorer defined in the Windows Folder Options are active also in UE Open and Save As dialogs. This includes the type of listing (list, details, symbols, ...), the sort order (ascending/descending), the sorting group (by file name, file extension, last modification date, ...) and other Explorer options.

Either you or your IT department via a group policy have activated grouping of files in Windows Explorer by name resulting in getting the files listed grouped also in Open and Save As dialogs of any application using Windows standard Open and Save As dialogs (unmodified or extended like in UE). See for example Windows 7 - Folder grouped by name 0-999, A-H, I-P, Q-Z instead of a,b,c etc and search with a www search engine for Windows details view "grouping by name" to find pages about this Explorer viewing option.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria