Is it possible to get Basic keywords displayed in upper case?

Is it possible to get Basic keywords displayed in upper case?

NewbieNewbie

Nov 19, 2015#1

Hello all,

Is it possible in syntax highlighting to place certain keywords in caps?

I can go over view, themes, manage themes, select syntax, right file extension and then, for example for the category 'strings', I can select the font style: normal, italic, bold or underline.

But I don't see how I can convert certain keywords to caps.

I want to use for programming keywords like IF, THEN, ELSE, WHILE, ...

Many thanks for the responses,

bart

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 19, 2015#2

Syntax highlighting just displays the text in file with attributes defined in the Manage Themes window.

There is no option to display the text in active file different to how the characters are really stored in file because many languages are case sensitive. Therefore font styles like "capitalized" or "in upper case" are not available in UltraEdit. Word processing applications offer such font styles by adding hidden formatting tags into the document file for those special text formatting. But it is not possible to add hidden formatting related information in plain text files.

Auto-completion

For the auto-completion feature using also the keywords from syntax highlighting wordfile among other resources, see help pages Auto Completion and Auto-complete, it is possible to change the case of the keywords you want to upper case.

Open Advanced - Configuration - Editor Display - Syntax Highlighting, select the wordfile for the language you want to modify, click on button Open and close configuration dialog with button Cancel. Now change the keywords you want to see in upper case in auto-completion window in the wordfile. Save the wordfile, switch to syntax highlighted file, enter the first 2 or 3 letters, and press Ctrl+Space if auto-completion window does not display automatically, to see the suitable keyword suggested as defined in the wordfile.

Note 1: Words in active file written in a different case are also displayed in auto-completion window for a case insensitive language.

Note 2: If the syntax highlighting wordfile contains in first line NOT the keyword Nocase, the language is case sensitive which I suppose is not the case for the language you want to change the case of the keywords. However, in this case the words in the wordfile must be resorted using macro SortLanguage or the UE Companion Utility after modification in the wordfile.

Auto-correction

There is the setting Auto-correct keywords at Advanced - Configuration - Editor Display - Miscellaneous which really changes the case of keywords in file while entering them if this feature is enabled. It does not change the case of the keywords already present in file.

This feature requires that the syntax highlighting language used for active file is case sensitive which means Nocase is not used in first line of the wordfile.

For usage of auto-correction for a case insensitive language it is necessary to remove in the wordfile the keyword Nocase in first line, add for each keyword the 3 common spellings, for example else, Else and ELSE (all in same color group or in 3 different color groups), and sort the wordfile using macro SortLanguage or the UE Companion Utility.

Now the first respectively the first 2 letters entered define which word the auto-correction feature uses from the language keywords defined in the wordfile.

Smart templates

There is the setting Auto-suggest smart template when typing at Advanced - Configuration - Templates. If this feature is used, the templates must be defined by you as you like them inserted. Open Advanced - Display/Modify Templates, select the template group containing the templates used by you, edit the templates where you want the language keywords inserted in upper case, and save all changes with button OK. You can also right click into Template List view if currently visible and left click on context menu item Modify Templates to open the dialog for editing templates.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria