Settings file across environment

Settings file across environment

NewbieNewbie

Oct 15, 2015#1

Hi Mofi,

I have a question and I am sure you will be able to answer it.

I have done few settings on my UltraEdit and I would like all my colleagues to use same settings in their PC's with UltraEdit. Say a settings file which they can just import into their UltraEdit on their PC's.

My settings for example is: Advanced - Configuration - File Handling - Temporary files - "Open file without temp files" and also "No Backup" in File Handling - Backup - Backup.

Can you please help me with the settings.

Regards,
    Sars

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 15, 2015#2

Everything below is written for settings stored in INI file as by default and not in Windows registry.

1. Clean configuration

In UltraEdit first close all files or the opened project. Then open Advanced - Configuration - Toolbars / Menus - Miscellaneous and click on button Clear history. Exit configuration dialog with button Cancel and restart UltraEdit.

2. Export settings

Use Advanced - Export Settings. You have to select a folder during the export. This folder should be empty. UltraEdit copies all environment files as well as all uedit32.* or uedit64.* into the selected folder. This folder must be published.

Alternatively also Advanced - Backup/Restore User Customizations can be used to selectively store for example just uedit32ini or uedit64ini into a special container which must be published.

3. Import settings

Your colleagues have to use Advanced - Import Settings and select the folder containing the files exported by you or use Advanced - Backup/Restore User Customizations to import your settings via restore method.

As far as I know in both cases absolute paths in uedit32ini or uedit64ini containing your %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit path are automatically replaced by UltraEdit during import by their %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit path. But I have never tested if this works really for all absolute paths depending on environment variable APPDATA as I have never needed to this in my configuration.

For more details on the various user related UltraEdit configuration files see How to transfer / copy / move / migrate configuration settings to a new PC?

The settings you mentioned are all stored in the INI file.

No backup

[Settings]
      Backup=0

Use temporary file for editing (normal operation)

[Settings]
      No Temp=0
      No Temp Confirm=0

Open file without temp file but prompt for each file

[Settings]
      No Temp=1
      No Temp Confirm=1

Open file without temp file but NO Prompt

[Settings]
      No Temp=1
      No Temp Confirm=0

So it would be also possible to write a batch file which first makes sure that no UltraEdit instance is running on execution using tasklist.exe and prompting user to exit running UltraEdit in a loop until all instances of UE are closed and then selectively replaces the existing values of those settings with the recommended once. Those settings do not exist in other groups than [Settings]. Therefore simple replaces can be applied to the INI file to get those settings with the right values.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Oct 16, 2015#3

Thanks Mofi.

I will try and get back to you if I need any further help.

Regards

Oct 20, 2015#4

Hi Mofi,

It worked at first time, when I tried it second time the settings are not getting applied.

Also how do I reset the settings to default. Other than deleting files for %appdata%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\?

If I delete the files it asks me to register again.

Regards,

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 20, 2015#5

You can delete - after making a backup - only the file %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\uedit*.ini if you want to reset just the settings configured via Advanced - Configuration and the various context menus. In this case the environments, the workspace, the wordfiles, the themes and templates and the key mapping would be untouched.

I'm really wondering why importing the settings should work only once. Of course it is necessary to restart UltraEdit after importing the settings respectively restoring a configuration from backup. But I would be really surprised if that would work only once as I'm quite sure there is no counter for configuration update via import or restore. I must add that I have never tried by myself to import settings or restore configuration several times.

NewbieNewbie

Nov 12, 2015#6

Thanks Mofi,

It works fine now.

Needed to do it in proper order.

Regards,

Nov 16, 2015#7

Hi Mofi,

I was able to use the Restore/Backup option to change the temp file setting with below observations.

I am unable to use the Backup for settings of going back to original setting with the backup file. Wondering how I can go back to original setting (with temp file) by using a backup file.

Also the restore backup feature is only limited to the temp files. I have done many different settings in my machine which I would like all other users to use.

Simply speaking I would like to perform all of the settings mentioned in below link, when I use large file and go back to normal settings once I am done with handling that large file.

https://www.ultraedit.com/support/tutor ... dling.html

So in short can I have two type of files which I can switch to when needed?

Thanks in advance.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 16, 2015#8

I do not recommend switching permanently with Backup/Restore User Customizations between 2 configurations of UltraEdit. This feature is not designed for this purpose and on restore you always lose your histories.

I suggest to use 2 configurations. Here are the necessary steps for one possible setup:
                  • Run from within a command prompt window the command:

Code: Select all

copy "%APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\uedit??.*" "%APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\ueditLF.*"
                    This command creates of copies of the workspace file (uedit*.in0), the configuration file (uedit*.ini), the main menu profile file (uedit*.mb0), the popup menus profile file (uedit*.pb0), the toolbar profile file (uedit*.tb0) and if existing also the key mapping configuration file (uedit*.uek) with LF instead of 32 or 64 in the file names.
                  • Create a copy of UltraEdit shortcut file used usually to start UltraEdit on Windows desktop, in Windows start menu, etc. and name it UltraEdit Large File.
                  • Right click on shortcut UltraEdit Large File, left click on Properties at bottom of context menu and append on command line a space and following text:

Code: Select all

/fni /i="%APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\ueditLF.ini"
                    Save the modification on the shortcut with a click on button OK.
                  • Double click on shortcut UltraEdit Large File. What happens now is that a new instance of UltraEdit is started because of option /fni (force new instance) using the configuration defined by the files ueditLF.* which is for large files.
                  • You need to configure this configuration now for large file handling as you have already done.
                    As the workspace is also different for this configuration, you can close all views never used when working on large files.
                    You can use or even setup a special layout via View - Layouts - Manage Layouts for large file handling. Layout Clean is most likely the best for large file handling, perhaps even further customized. For example toolbars could be disabled via View - Views/Lists - Toolbars not needed for large file viewing/editing or completely customized. Different toolbars for those two configurations would also help to identify if an already running instance of UE is for editing small files or large files as the toolbars are different.
                  Whenever you want to use UltraEdit for large file editing, start first UltraEdit via shortcut UltraEdit Large File and open in this special configuration the large file.

Note: When you have configured standard configuration of UltraEdit for using always a single instance and having currently running only 1 or more instances for large files using ueditLF.*, a double click on a small file would result in opening the small file in and already running instance of UltraEdit for large files. You would need to move the file tab of this small file out of UE main window to open the file in a new instance of UE using (most likely, never tested) standard configuration.

This is not the only possible solution for using more than 1 configuration parallel.

Another one would be making a copy of uedit??.* files in program files folder of UltraEdit and using the alternate executable ueditLF.exe which automatically results in using ueditLF.* files in application data directory. (Copy of executable and help file must be done again manually after each update/upgrade of UltraEdit).

And there are even more possible solutions for using UltraEdit with more than one configuration at the same time.

Which solution and configuration is best depends on what settings you would have different, what you prefer regarding instance management and how you are opening files in UltraEdit (from within UltraEdit, via double click in file manager (Windows Explorer), from other applications, by drag & drop, via UltraEdit context menu item, ...).

NewbieNewbie

Apr 09, 2016#9

Thanks Mofi...I will try this and post my reply.