Tutorial on how to get UEX working perfectly on FreeBSD/PCBSD (updated)

Tutorial on how to get UEX working perfectly on FreeBSD/PCBSD (updated)

NewbieNewbie

Sep 27, 2015#1

Historically, it has been hard to get UltraEdit working seamlessly on FreeBSD, but with recent versions, all UltraEdit features (including FTP/SFTP save) can be enabled. From experience, it seems to perform equally fast on FreeBSD as on Linux or Windows.

FreeBSD version: 10.2 (current stable, 64-bit)
    Desktop: KDE (although it would most likely work well for any standard desktop)

1. Prepare your FreeBSD workstation for Linux compatibility:
        a. Install packages: # pkg install linux-c6-base # pkg install linux-c6-xorg-libs  If for some reason these libraries aren't added as dependencies, install them too:  # pkg install linux-c6-gtk2  # pkg install linux-c6-libssh2  # pkg install linux-c6-openssl  # pkg install linux-c6-openssl-compat   b. Add to /etc/rc.con   linux_enable="YES"   c. Add to /boot/loader.conf   linux_load="YES"   d. Add to /etc/fstab   linprocfs  /compat/linux/proc linprocfs  rw  0  0
    2. Reboot FreeBSD

3. Go to https://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/uex.html and download "UltraEdit for Linux - generic tar" (32-bit version)

4. Unpack at any location of your choosing, for example /home/joeuser/uex

5. Make a small shell script: /home/joeuser/bin/uex with the contents:
      #!/compat/linux/bin/bashPATH=$PATH:/compat/linux/bin:/compat/linux/usr/bin/home/joeuser/uex/bin/uex
    (Don't forget to "chmod 755 /home/joeuser/bin/uex" and run the "rehash" command if you are in tcsh)

6. Execute "uex &" from the command line, or add a KDE menu entry pointing to /home/joeuser/bin/uex (you will even get the UltraEdit icon).

That should be all it takes! Please let me know if you have any problems or additional comments.

Jul 12, 2016#2

Wow this tutorial is very helpful for all the people. I am happy because I got new and different information from this tutorial. I am planning to do the article writing with the help of different useful resources. Before starting the writing I refer the genuine resources guidelines and it is improve my writing skills. If you have new ideas and information please share with me.