List search results on multiple files

List search results on multiple files

NewbieNewbie

Aug 12, 2016#1

Switching from notepad++ to UltraEdit, I've found a missing feature that I used a lot: list search results on multiple files. My use case: I have dozens of CSS files, on which I need to check specific selectors. In UltraEdit, I've found two search options: the first one allows you to list results from a single file in a clickable window, the second one outputs the search results from multiple files into a new text file.

What I used to have in Notepad++ is having search results on multiple files output to a clickable list. Here the second option is not as useful as I only get a static text file on which I cannot click to get to the actual file and line. The option to open files that contain the search term doesn't help either, as I'd have to run the search again on each file.

Am I missing something or would this be a good candidate for a feature request ?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 12, 2016#2

Use Find in Files with option In being Files listed or Open files or Favorite files or Project files (with a project/workspace opened), click on gearwheel button to see the advanced options, uncheck Results to edit window and click on button Find.

The search results are written to active output window. There are 2 output window tabs in UltraEdit.

Right click into the output window and a context menu opens with several options. As you can see there are the commands Next Message and Previous Message with the hotkeys Ctrl+Shift+Down Arrow and Ctrl+Shift+Up Arrow. Those two hotkeys can be used from within the active file window to position the caret on next/previous line in active file or in next/previous file opened automatically if necessary according to next/previous line in output window. The hotkeys can be modified in Key Mapping configuration dialog.

What the output window contains for a Find in Files can be customized at Advanced - Settings/Configuration - Search - Set Find Output Format.

Note: The regular Find command has also the option All open Files which when checked and button Next is pressed, command Find Next with key F3 can be used to find not only next occurrence in current file, but in all opened files (not being opened in hex edit mode). In other words command Find Next then iterates not only on all found occurrences in current file, but in all files opened in text edit mode.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Aug 17, 2016#3

Thanks a lot! That was a most helpful and complete answer. The search in edit windows was what confused me, along with a misunderstanding on the capabilities of the output windows.