Start new UEx instance

Start new UEx instance

NewbieNewbie

Sep 19, 2012#1

I have set that only one instance of UEX should be running as that is what I really want. However I have a tool that requires a text editor at times and it spurns a thread for the new instance of the text editor. Then this thread closes it knows the file contents can now be read again. To use UEX instead of say nedit I would have to change the config to allow more than one instance. Is there some command line switch that allows a new instance to be created even though the config says it shouldn't?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 19, 2012#2

UltraEdit for Windows has the command line parameter /fni to force a new instance which must be the first parameter on command line (left to file name or any other parameter).

I don't know if UEx supports this command line switch, too. Try if launching UEx with -fni results in starting a new instance of UEx if one is running already.

NewbieNewbie

Sep 19, 2012#3

Unfortunately it is not one of the command line options yet :o . The only options we have are below. I could use the --config option, but this means keeping 2 of them in sync apart from the one difference. However I have not seen an easy way to work out where this information is stored or how to work it.

Code: Select all

Usage: uex [-h] [-v] [-u] [-r] [-p] [-d] [-c <str>] [-m <str>] [-s <str>] [file to open...]
          -h, --help            show this help message
          -v, --version         show version
          -u, --uninstall       uninstall cleanup
          -r, --read-only       open files in read-only mode
          -p, --print           print file
          -d, --debug           enable debug logging
          -c, --config=<str>    configuration file to use
          -m, --macro=<str>     macro to run: [e,][<number of times to execute>,][<macro name>,]<full path to macro file>
          -s, --script=<str>    script to run: [e,]<script name>

The following standard GTK+ options are also supported:
          --class=CLASS         Program class as used by the window manager
          --name=NAME           Program name as used by the window manager
          --display=DISPLAY     X display to use
          --screen=SCREEN       X screen to use
          --sync                Make X calls synchronous
          --gtk-module=MODULES  Load additional GTK+ modules
          --g-fatal-warnings    Make all warnings fatal

NewbieNewbie

Oct 07, 2014#4

So, is there a solution?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 30, 2016#5

A new feature introduced with UEX v16.1 is launching uex from terminal in a new instance via -fni with the restriction that this works only on Ubuntu.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria