File locking and .bak files

File locking and .bak files

NewbieNewbie

Sep 07, 2004#1

I used to be one of the most avid UltraEdit users and preachers. However with the newest version I have encountered two problems that are so bad I am not sure I can continue to use it.

.bak files - every file I open, UltraEdit creates these files. I assumed that this would go away if I change the configuration to "Open file without temp file". However, this did not help, I can't seem to get rid of them.

File locking - I am not sure how to explain this but it is big. After opening a file in UltraEdit, I can no longer do anything with it outside of UltraEdit, anything. To ftp a file after editing it, I first have to close down UltraEdit. I can also no longer view log files while they are being edited (essential) the other program is unable to log to the file.

I hope somebody else knows how to fix these problems, I really would like to continue to use this application.

MasterMaster

Sep 07, 2004#2

.bak problem:

Advanced > Configuration > Backup
      select the No Backup option

I would advise you to keep the temp file option selected because working without temporay files means working with file locks.

File locking - try this, no promises:

Advanced > Configuration > General > File Handling
      Uncheck the Lock File For write option
      Software For Metalworking
      http://closetolerancesoftware.com

NewbieNewbie

Sep 07, 2004#3

Thank you so much, the first issue fixed both of my problems. For some reason, I missed the back up tab and I was changing the "Use temporary file for editing" configuration item. That was not getting rid of the backup problem that I had and was causing the locking problem.

Still in love with this app, thanks.