How to save active file with an incremented or appended number using a script?

How to save active file with an incremented or appended number using a script?

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Jun 22, 2017#1

I have file names of the form: FIlename_XXX.log where XXX is a version number.
    I want to to have a script which when invoked will save the file with a new filename by incrementing the version number.

For example file Filename_003.log would be saved as Filename_004.log.
    If the filename have no 3 digit version then the script would add one starting at 000.

Would this be possible with an UE script?

Many thanks for any reply.

Power UserPower User

Jun 22, 2017#2

Is the original file left unchanged or is it renamed using the new sequence number? If File_003.log is loaded and you choose run the script twice, do you get File_004.log and File_005.log or is File_004.log updated with the second execution? If you have File_005.log in UE but File_006.log already exists, does the script create File_007.log or overwrite File_006.log? What happens when you get to File_999.log?

Jun 22, 2017#3

@MickRC3 fair question :)

The original file is indeed left unchanged.
        So after File_099 is saved I will have 098 other files in the folder (assuming I started from 001).
        If File_003.log is loaded and I choose run the script twice, I do indeed get File_004.log and File_005.log.
        If I have File_005.log in UE but File_006.log already exists I would be happy for the script to fail inelegantly at this point. In practice I would have a folder with DocumentX_001 and no other files so this would not happen.
        What happens when you get to File_999.log - I have not thought that far. For my purposes right now this is academic :)

In principle is this feasible?

I see a saveAs scripting command in help of UltraEdit on page about scripting commands. So I am thinking it may be possible. It looks like this would require extracting the current filename into a string from property path.
        Would it be true to say that this command would return the file name as well as the folder path?

Appreciate your interest :)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 23, 2017#4

It is of course possible to save current file with an automatic incremented number.

Code: Select all

if (UltraEdit.document.length > 0)  // Is any file opened?
          {
             // Is the file not a new, unnamed file?
             if (!UltraEdit.activeDocument.isName(""))
             {
                var sFileNameWithPath = UltraEdit.activeDocument.path;
                var sFileNumber = sFileNameWithPath.replace(/^.+_(\d\d\d)\.\w+$/,"$1");
                // Does the file name end with an underscore and a number with 3 digits?
                if(sFileNumber != sFileNameWithPath)
                {
                   // Convert file number to string using decimal system and increment by 1.
                   var nFileNumber = parseInt(sFileNumber,10) + 1;
                   // Convert the incremented file number back to string using
                   // decimal system and append this string after two leading zeros.
                   var sNewFileNumber = "00" + nFileNumber.toString(10);
                   // New file number string should be just the last 3 digits.
                   sNewFileNumber = sNewFileNumber.substr(-3);
                   sFileNameWithPath = sFileNameWithPath.replace(/\d\d\d(\.\w+)$/,sNewFileNumber+"$1");
                }
                else
                {
                   // Insert _000 before file extension.
                   sFileNameWithPath = sFileNameWithPath.replace(/(\.\w+)$/,"_000$1");
                }
                UltraEdit.saveAs(sFileNameWithPath);
             }
             else
             {
                UltraEdit.messageBox("Error: Saving file with incremented number is not possible for a new file!");
             }
          }

Next file number after 999 is 000 (last 3 digits of 1000) overwriting silently the file with number 000 in file name.

By the way: Do you know that UltraEdit has a version backup feature? See Advanced - Settings/Configuration - File Handling - Backup with button ? explaining the options to define the version back format string and click on button Help for more details.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Jun 23, 2017#5

Mofi ... thank you ... as ever.