Function list ignores block and line comments ... could this be optional?

Function list ignores block and line comments ... could this be optional?

Basic UserBasic User

Sep 21, 2017#1

After the last update (24.20), function list sees commented-out functions no more. This is a good thing as a feature. But there are times when it comes in handy to put certain strings in the source which would then be listed on the right side. So maybe this "don't look comments" behavior could be a switch?

Personally, I use a lot of custom markers (in comments) that are listed by regex in the function list and help me navigate my sources. Now I had to figure out non-comment ways to do that, which is not nearly as efficient and not always possible.

It's a painful change for me.  
    I'd be very happy to get my comment-based navigation back, if it's not too much effort.
    Even if it's just me ... by the way, is it just me?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 21, 2017#2

UltraEdit Latest Changes for UE v24.20 contained the item:
      • Function list no longer shows functions in block comments
      There is neither a configuration setting nor a context menu option to get previous behavior with searching in entire file for strings displayed in function list in UltraEdit v24.20.0.30.

Update: I  sent a few days later an email to IDM support with subject UE - Feature request for a just optional ignoring of function strings in comments.

Sep 29, 2017#3

There is already an option to enable searching also in comments for UltraEdit v24.20.0.35 and UEStudio v17.20.0.9 as I was informed by IDM support with the reply on my feature request.
        IDM support wrote:With the above builds we added the following:

To disable the Function list behavior wherein commented out data is ignored, please add the following somewhere near the top of the relevant wordfile:

/Strip Comments = No

With this line, UltraEdit and UEStudio will behave as they did before we introduced the new functionality.

We're working on updates to help files that will detail this out.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria