Multiple accounts using a single username and password

Multiple accounts using a single username and password

NewbieNewbie

Oct 11, 2017#1

At my current client, I have one account used across several servers. The password needs to be updated like every 45 days. I change it once on any of the servers, and it replicates to the rest of the servers (actually I think they all point to a unified server for password authentication).

Here's the issue:
    In UltraEdit's FTP Account Manager I have accounts setup to connect to each Linux server (which are mostly VMs). The Username remains the same, but now I have to update the password for every account.

Is there a way to update all the passwords within my FTP Account manager, based on that single user name?

So if I have 30 accounts all using the same user name, that I don't have to change the password 30 times, every 45 days?

I'm on UE version 22.20.0.43

Basically, is it possible to store a user name and password once, so that if I update the password, it automatically applies to all of the accounts that use that user name?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 14, 2017#2

There is no master password for multiple accounts.

I have not tested it, but it might work to update the password of one account and replace the encrypted password of all other accounts by the updated encrypted password in the file storing the account data. It is advisable to make this encrypted password copy with an UltraEdit macro or script because this must be done regularly.

Let us assume you would use already UltraEdit for Windows v24.20.0.40 with default settings which means the FTP account data are stored in %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\FTPDataU.ini.

InsertMode
      ColumnModeOff
      Open "C:\Users\UserName\IDMComp\UltraEdit\FTPDataU.ini"
      UltraEditReOn
      Find MatchCase "Account Name=ManuallyUpdatedAccount"
      IfFound
      Find MatchCase RegExp "%Password=*$"
      Clipboard 9
      Copy
      Replace All "^c"
      ClearClipboard
      Clipboard 0
      CloseFile Save
      EndIf

You have to customize C:\Users\UserName and ManuallyUpdatedAccount in macro code.

So with this macro you have to modify the password of account ManuallyUpdatedAccount in FTP Account Manager which is immediately saved in FTPDataU.ini after closing the dialog with button OK. Next load and run this macro to copy the updated encrypted password to all other accounts. And last UltraEdit must be perhaps restarted to recognize the data modification in FTPDataU.ini.

Please test if the last step is really necessary or if UltraEdit recognizes the data modification in FTPDataU.ini without a restart.

In really used UE v22.20.0.43 the FTP account data file is by default FTPData.ini (ANSI instead of Unicode encoded). Please open in UE v22.20.0.43 Advanced - Configuration - FTP and click on button Help for more information in which file the FTP account data can be stored depending on the settings in this configuration dialog in case of not using FTPData.ini due to the configuration.

Here is one more macro written for UE v22.20.0.43 to update only the encrypted password of each account with a specific user name and keep the passwords of all other accounts untouched.

InsertMode
      ColumnModeOff
      Open "C:\Users\UserName\IDMComp\UltraEdit\FTPData.ini"
      UltraEditReOn
      Find MatchCase "Account Name=ManuallyUpdatedAccount"
      IfFound
      Clipboard 9
      Copy
      Loop 0
      Find MatchCase "User Name=SharedUserName"
      IfNotFound
      ExitLoop
      EndIf
      Find MatchCase RegExp Up "%Password=*$"
      Replace "^c"
      Find MatchCase "User Name=SharedUserName"
      Key END
      EndLoop
      ClearClipboard
      Clipboard 0
      CloseFile Save
      EndIf

SharedUserName must be also customized in this macro.

Both macros keep the FTP account data file opened when not finding the specified account ManuallyUpdatedAccount on which the modified password is saved encrypted to indicate that the macro must be updated also after deleting this account in FTP Account Manager.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Oct 19, 2017#3

Thanks Mofi for the reply.
        You are correct, I use the default settings.
        I will try this out today. Looks very promising. I've got my fingers crossed. I'll respond letting you know.
        --
        I'm still working on this.  I see what the macro is trying to do.  
        I can see where it changes the password value, but isn't letting me in.   I had shared passwords turned on.  I turned them off. 
        I've pointed the file to files I see which are updated (when i change manually).
        My last attempt was to turn share off and specify a different file name.
        Unfortunately I have a lot of work items going on, so I haven't spent too much time trying to get this to work.
        I'm going on vacation next week, so it may be after that before i get it working.
        The macro itself looks good and seems to be doing what I think it should.  I'm going to reset my password on a couple of accounts to verify the encryption value appears to be the same in the file.

I'll let you know if I get this working.  thanks again.