ftp file list is blank

ftp file list is blank

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 27, 2004#1

I copied my installation of UltraEdit to my new PC and everything works great except ftp ... I can ftp files to and from a server *if* I know the exact path and name. But the FTP Open file listing is completely blank except for the entry for the .. directory. I figure I must have missed copying a file or a registry entry must be wrong. I had some help copying registry entries which put UltraEdit back on my right-click menu, but nothing has helped with the ftp file list... Any ideas? Anyone? Thanks!

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Aug 27, 2004#2

Hi Steve

I'll take a go at it!
      First off your ftp setting are stored in uedit32.ini
      [FTP Account - Name-of-ftp-settings]

There been some confusion about where the uedit32.ini is stored
      I just found that I have two files on my system. 1) in c:\windows\
      the other is brand new location c:\documents and settings\user_name\
      application data\IDMComp\UltraEdit\uedit32.ini
      On my machine the ini file in the Windows sub dir controls UltraEdit.

But I'm thinking you have a intial directory set on the old machine.
      Initial Dir="\some-drive\some-directory\maybe-another-directory\"

I aways start off with hitting the "Refresh" button when I'm ftping.
      This shows me what's in the current directory.

Oh check your server type in the ini file to see if it matches your
      new machine. That's under "Advanced" when setting up a account.
      You know "AIX", "Unix", "Auto" ....

Hope this helps

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 28, 2004#3

Thanks - only one uedit32.ini on my new system (Windows XP, BTW). I copied it from my old Win98 machine to the new computer, and just put it where it used to be.

I checked the FTP settings in the file and everything looks good there. I created a new FTP Account, just in case, and verified everything is as it should be. When I connected to the new account, my only item in the file list is the entry for ..

So, no help there, I think. I'm wondering if there is a DLL that I copied from the Win98 system that is missing on this WinXP machine, or which is incompatible. Possible, not, etc?

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Aug 30, 2004#4

Hi Steve

I don't know what to tell you!

I will tell you this is a user supported forum,
          you might want to fire off an email to [email protected]
          and Ian and his staff will get back to you.
          They are ussually fantastic at getting back to you within hours.

Hey good luck, if you find out something let us know.
          Bill

Basic UserBasic User

Jan 02, 2005#5

Today I got quite fed up with not seeing my file list with my older version of UE, and had previously gotten quite unsatisfactory answers from UE support, so I just went ahead and dl'ed the latest version of UE. I didn't want to have to pay $35 to get a file list, but figured I'd wasted $35 worth of time over the past several months, so bit the bullet.

Well, guess what - the newest version does not show file lists either. I can ftp save and ftp retrieve the files, if I can navigate my directory structure without seeing the list of files or directories (to cd, I have to use Change Dir and type in the name; to dl/up a file, I have to then type in the exact name I wish to load or save; when an ftp file is in my favorites list or MRU list, I can get it with no trouble).

So the problem persists. Any one run into this problem with 10.20? Specifically, when I access my site with FTP, I can see only the .. directory in the file list. Could it be a firewall issue? I'm at a loss, and quite frustrated. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Jan 03, 2005#6

Fixed!

I found a message in another thread that suggested checking the Passive Mode checkbox in the Account setup ... and once I did, my file list appeared as if by magic.

Hopefully someone else with a similar problem can search to find this thread and avoid the trouble I had ... now I need to register the new version - maybe I can get my work to pay for it...

NewbieNewbie

Jan 28, 2005#7

I had the same problem Connecting to an AIX server. I didn't modify the 'Pasive Transfers' tick box, I left this unticked.

Instead I modified the 'Server Type' drop down box below 'Pasive Transfers' from 'Auto' to 'AIX'.

This solved the problem for me.

NewbieNewbie

Jan 31, 2005#8

FYI:
                  If you have something in the "filter" textbox of the FTP window you WILL get the behavior you described.

NewbieNewbie

Aug 10, 2005#9

Thank you Stevenand everyone. I've had the same problem for a while and I contacted support but they asked me to buy the new upgrade. I was contemplating on buying it when I just decided to check the forums before buying

I tried your solution and boom! works like magic