Problem with position of Function List and Macro List

Problem with position of Function List and Macro List

NewbieNewbie

Sep 10, 2004#1

UltraEdit 10.20a.

I have a problem with the position of the Function List and Macro List windows. I always have this windows in docking mode at the right of the UltraEdit window, Function List up and Macro List down.

Well, sometimes they appear one side one (usually Macro List at the right of the window and the Function List at his left), and it's 'difficult' to put them again one upon the other. Perhaps this occurs sometimes when I open some documents having UltraEdit opened.

Hope you can understand this mess... O:)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 17, 2004#2

Windows changing their positions is always annoying. So from the first time on I used UltraEdit for years ago, I always have a copy of my ini-file named Uedit32.sav. This backup ini-file contains all my settings perfectly adjusted to my needs and with sorted entries at each group and without any history entries. Whenever windows moved by mistake or I want to clear the history entries, I simply close UltraEdit (if open) and copy Uedit32.sav over Uedit32.ini.

Everytime I upgraded to a new version of UltraEdit I have first restored my perfect ini-file. Then do the upgrade and started the new version of UltraEdit. If new interesting features are implemented (listed in Read.me), I played with it and set it to my needs. After working with it a few days, I compare the actual ini-file from the new UE-version with the save copy from previous version of UE and checked, which settings are added, which where deleted and which have changed. Finally I adjusted my save copy with the new settings and I have a new perfect ini-file for the new version of UE.

This is the reason, why I know so many about the ini-settings, which are not well documented. And this method of quick restoring my ini-file is also the reason, why I can help users here often quickly. If I play with settings to find a solution for a problem of a forum user, I don't have to fear to destroy my settings. Nothing can happen, because I can easily restore my settings.

Okay, the newer version of UltraEdit store some settings in the registry. So normally also the perfect adjusted registry settings should be exported, si it can be deleted and restored, if necessary. But I also have set in my ini-file, that UltraEdit should everything save in the ini-file and nothing in the registry (disadvantage: no personal menu, only one toolbar in old style).

Maybe this is also a good solution for you. Set following ini-entry

[Settings]
      ControlBarsFromReg=0

and adjust all your windows to your needs. Close Ultraedit and make a save copy of your ini-file. Now you can easily restore the windows settings, if they have changed unmeant.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Sep 20, 2004#3

Thanks for your answer, Mofi. :)

Well, I will follow your workaround, but I think that a better solution is to have two new options in UltraEdit: 'Save actual windows settings' and 'Restore saved windows settings'.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 20, 2004#4

Only two new options for save and restore window settings?

If save and restore window settings, than more than one setting. This is named workspaces in other programs and would be very useful for many users, isn't it. Also workspaces saved in the project file, would be very useful. At my html projects I need a much wider function list than for my 'C' projects. I actually use project specific ini-files to solve this problem.

The window settings are a general problem in many programs. I use the method with a save ini-copy at every program which stores the window settings in an ini-file and doesn't have workspaces. This makes it also easy to copy the settings to my other PCs. This method is much more complicated, if the program stores the window settings in the registry, like IE and MS Office applications do. Have I ever mentioned, that I hate programs, which store their settings in a really big binary file like the registry is.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria