Save as FTP then Save to Disk

Save as FTP then Save to Disk

NewbieNewbie

Dec 29, 2005#1

Maybe I am missing something here but here's my issue.

I do a Save as FTP and then do more changes to the file. I then click Save on the toolbar and it FTP's again! I just wanted to save the file to disk. Shouldn't the Save option save it to disk and the Save as FTP save it to the FTP site. Its annoying because I have to do a Save As again to get it back to saving to disk.

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

NewbieNewbie

Mar 05, 2006#2

I ran into this problem last night as well.

I've happily used UltraEdit for nearly a decade and having finally gotten around to updating to the new version I decided to start using the FTP side to save some time.

Unfortunately I didn't check that UE was also saving the updates to the files locally and when I came to carry on working on the files this evening I was astonished to find that all of last night's work had disappeared. In linking the files to their FTP account counterparts it had continued to save to FTP but not locally.

I've looked through the options and couldn't find anything. I have everything set up in projects and having opened a file from a project I would've hoped it would continue to save the file back to the project area as well as uploading to the FTP account. Is this not possible or am I missing a trick?

UPDATE: Also noticed that if you have a file from a project open, make some changes then save as to FTP you can then open the same file from the project again and hey-presto you have TWO copies of the same file open both with different versions. This is very confusing. I'm going to have to keep doing two saves every time I edit a file.

Mar 20, 2006#3

I like that I can save it to where I opened it up from. If I open a file from FTP, then I want to save it to FTP quickly and easily by just doing a CTRL+S.

If I open a file from my local hard drive and then I do a Save As to FTP, then from that point, I'm working off the FTP copy. Just the reverse is true, too. If you open from FTP and then do a normal Save As to a local disk, then you are now working from your local disk's copy.

IOW, Save As works like it should, and Save works like it should. What would be really cool is a new option for each open file that would be maybe a check box (which would only be available if the file was an FTP file), that would let you save to both places at the same time and the first time you do a save, it would prompt you to define the location of your local saved file.

Just an idea.