Opening in FTP File tree, UEv12 - Error 550 not a plain file

Opening in FTP File tree, UEv12 - Error 550 not a plain file

NewbieNewbie

Apr 05, 2006#1

My files I am accessing are in /u/arts/src/10 and I am using the File Tree view and FTP in UE-32 v12. When I attempt to open any file in this directory (or any other user under /u) it gives me an error 550: "not a plain file". The dialogue box shows the following...

As you can see, it appears as though it is attempting to download the 'src' directory instead of the file that I'm actually trying to open. This also occurs when UE attempts to re-open files from a previous session that were open upon closing that happen to be on FTP.

I can open files just fine if I use the "Open From FTP" option in the File menu.

Does anybody know why this is or if there is a solution to it? The server is SCO-Unix. I've heard of other people having this issue as well, but have not yet heard of a solution.

Re: Opening in FTP File tree, UEv12 - Error 550 not a plain

Apr 06, 2006#2

Just a little info for you guys in case you see the same thing. It's not posted anywhere, but since I saw other people with the same problem, it wouldn't hurt to leave it here as a reference for others.

Me
      My files I am accessing are in /u/arts/src/10 and I am using the File Tree view and FTP in UE-32 v12. When I attempt to open any file in this directory
      (or any other user under /u) it gives me an error 550: "not a plain file". The dialogue box shows the following...

As you can see, it appears as though it is attempting to download the 'src' directory instead of the file that I'm actually trying to open. This also
      occurs when UE attempts to re-open files from a previous session that were open upon closing that happen to be on FTP.

I can open files just fine if I use the "Open From FTP" option in the File menu.

Is this a bug or a misconfigured client? The server is SCO-Unix. I've heard of other people having this issue as well, but have not yet heard of a solution.
      IDM Computer Solutions, Inc.
      Hello Art,

Thanks for your message and the attached image. I'm not sure why you would see this error, but I will ask one of our developers to look into this and get back to you.

Thanks, Troy

Troy A. Pennington
      Operations and Support Manager
      What kind of server are you trying to connect to?
      Me
      268$ uname -X
      System = SCO_SV
      Node = **** (edited)
      Release = 3.2v5.0.7
      KernelID = 2003-02-18
      Machine = PentII(D)
      BusType = ISA
      Serial = ********* (edited)
      Users = 65
      OEM# = 0
      Origin# = 1
      NumCPU = 1
      Hello Art,

Thanks for your message. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. I believe the issue you're seeing is actually due to a feature that allows UltraEdit-32 to open a file to a specified line number. The default character used to indicate a line number on the command line is: '/'. The use of this character by default is unfortunate but for legacy reasons has not been changed.

If you go to Advanced -> Configuration -> Editor -> Delimiters and change this character to "|" rather than "/" does this resolve the issue you're seeing?

Thanks, Troy

Troy A. Pennington
      Operations and Support Manager
      Me
      That took care of it, thanks a ton!
      edit: typos