Case-sensitive filenames on Unix drives mounted on Windows using Samba

Case-sensitive filenames on Unix drives mounted on Windows using Samba

NewbieNewbie

Oct 21, 2010#1

We work with UE on Windows (XP), editing files on Linux (not using FTP). If there are 2 distinct files: abc.p en abC.p UE seems to have problems. When I try to open abc.p it opens abC.p.

Is there any setting perhaps that solves this issue?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 21, 2010#2

There is no setting in UltraEdit to make UltraEdit for Windows case-sensitive for file names. The reason is quite simple. UltraEdit uses the Windows kernel functions for file access and these functions are not case-sensitive.

Two questions: How do you access files on a Unix computer without using FTP? Do you have mounted a share using Samba?

I'm not familiar with Samba, but I think there are options in Samba to solve such problems.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Oct 21, 2010#3

Thank you.

Yes, we use a samba share. Do you really think this could be solved anywhere in the samba settings?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 21, 2010#4

Yes, I think so after quickly reading Samba Name Mangling and Case.

In combination with correct Samba settings the UltraEdit configuration setting Check short names against files already loaded to prevent loading two copies of same file may be helpful to avoid reloading or opening the wrong file. The short name of file abc.p should be different to short name of file abC.p.

NewbieNewbie

Oct 22, 2010#5

Thanks again.

Useful documentation. So, I've been through that and changed samba settings. From windows explorer everything works just fine. I can see abc. p and abC.p and when I open these file with Notepad, everything is correct.
            The problem is UltraEdit. I can see both files from within UA, but I can open just one of them (regardless of the setting you suggested). What's in the file is not predictable. Could be either.

When I use windows explorer and open abc.p with UE, the file is correct. After closing the file in UE (otherwise nothing happens) I open abC.p. The wrong file appears, but immediately UE gives a message that the file has been changed and opens the correct one.

Obviously, UE is not able to deal with this issue. Bad luck.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 22, 2010#6

When you write that you open the file, how do you to that? There are many possibilities:
              1. The file type (file extension) is associated with UltraEdit and therefore you double click on the file in Windows Explorer to open it. UltraEdit is not already running.
              2. Same as above, but UltraEdit is already running and you do not use configuration setting Allow multiple instances to open all files always in the same instance.
              3. You open a file from within Windows Explorer by right clicking on the file and clicking on UltraEdit option in the context menu which means using the shell extension.
              4. You drag and drop the file from Windows Explorer over an already opened UltraEdit window.
              5. You open the file from within UltraEdit using File - Open (hotkey Ctrl+O).
              6. You open the file from within UltraEdit using File - Quick Open (hotkey Ctrl+Q).
              7. You open the file from within UltraEdit using the Explorer tab of the File Tree View.
              8. You open the file from within UltraEdit by double clicking on a line in the output window containing the name of the file.
              9. You open the file from within UltraEdit by right clicking on a file name string in edit window of an opened file and click on first command in the context menu.
              10. You open the file with using a list file and command line parameter /f"name of list file".
              11. You open the file by using drag and drop of the file from Windows Explorer over a shortcut icon of UltraEdit.
              12. You open the file using a wildcard string on the command line.
              That would be interesting in case of a developer of IDM should look into this problem.